Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

New lens: macro or fisheye?

Started by Fasando ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

New lens: macro or fisheye?

9 posts
  1. Hey soon im gonna buy myself a new lens and im having problems deciding which lens to buy. Currently i use a 60mm macro lens on my canon T3i. Should i get the tokina 10-17 fisheye lens or maybe expand my macro arsenal and get the 100mm macro lens?

    im mostly diving in Eilat(the red sea).

    Thanks.

  2. Really depends what you enjoy. The tokina is excellent on cropped sensor for wa. The 100 really only makes sense if you are going to add a diopter/magnifier to shoot super macro in my opinion. If it was me I'd get the tokina in a heart beat.

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. Really depends what you enjoy.

     

    ^This.

     

    Some photogs love macro shooting. Some - like me - don't. I prefer shooting WA and I'm working on developing my skills with the WA perspective. What about you? Are you a macro guy or a WA guy? The answer to that question will also answer your original question.

  4. Well i basically prefer shooting macro, but if the 100mm is for supermacro, i dont have the fund to buy it with a magnifier and etc for supermacro.

    is the 100mm good even without a diopter? worth the upgrade?

    and also i've never really tried WA so im having a hard time choosing, cuz i would like to try that out aswell.

  5. The 100mm has the same reproduction ratio ie 1:1, it will only increase your working distance and the field of view, no increase in "magnification".

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

     

    That is same repro ratio as your 60mm

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. I know that:P just wondering if i should get the 100mm and upgrade in the working distance and FOV or should i try out WA instead of upgrading macro

    Edited by Fasando
  7. I used the Canon 60mm and 100mm and if I had to give up one it would be the 60. But if I already had the 60mm as my only lens I wouldn't get the 100 but something wider. What is best for you really depends on you. For me my most used lens beside the macros was the 35mm F2, a 15mm fisheye got used only once. The 35mm is a great lens, focuses close, and is cheap, but I expect that for most the 10-17mm is the better choice.

  8. Hi,

    I would go for the Tokina to start to shoot WA, this lens is also very good close focus WA, i love using this lens, then my 105mm nikon then my 60mm nikon.

    Regards,

    Andy.

  9. Wide angle is more challenging, but the 10-17 focuses so close that with a small dome you can shoot WA macro. Not really macro because even on top of the subject, it looks small (and I mean touching the dome), but a close-up of a small to medium subject with a wide background. The challenge is strobe placement and lighting both the subject and the background.

    In this shot, the squids were probably an inch from the port.

     

    DSC_5210croppsesm_zps83447bef.jpg[/u

     

    In this crop, they may have been touching it.

    DSC_5214croppsesm_zpsf1614c78.jpg[/url]

    Edited by Larry C
Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.