Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Advice on How to get Close

Started by diver dave1 ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Advice on How to get Close

6 posts
  1. Reading the most current Alert Diver and the experience of a recent dive trip further ingrained methods for getting close to subjects.

    I live far from the ocean and only get to dive a few times per year. So when it happens, excitement is at a high and recent experience is at a low. I sometimes have to re-learn what I already should know but the lessons apply to us all.

     

    Grand Turk has a significant number of Nassau Groupers and I wanted to get some nice photos of them. Early in the week with wide angle lens on, the groupers would just not let me get into position for a good composition. I was not chasing them but still my movements caused them to be nervous. It was a bit frustrating.

     

    Later in the week, I moved to a macro setup and started spending considerable time playing peek-a-boo with gobies. Its just flat out fun to try and get a goby peaking over coral with a dark background or some curious angle and lighting. When I would get good and engrossed with the gobies, time would stand still and my movements would essentially stop. When I would ease back from the goby and coral, often a large grouper would be very close to me, watching me watching the goby.

    So when the wide angle lens was back on, I slowed down as if shooting a goby. A grouper came over to see what this big blob was doing hanging around and not moving much, allowing a photo.

    So if you are a beginner, or just been out of the water a while and acting like a beginner, likely you are moving too fast for most subjects. Perhaps this makes you look more like a predator to them. Very slow motion might cause them to become more curious.

     

    Peek-a boo with a goby

    http://www.shiningseastudio.com/Underwater/Grand-Turk/37112819_kBrFWz#!i=3084515683&k=9c32C8p

    http://www.shiningseastudio.com/Underwater/Grand-Turk/37112819_kBrFWz#!i=3081280276&k=bLVTgVt

     

    eye to eye with a curous grouper. I have to move away to get this shot as he was too close for more than an eyeball shot at first.

    http://www.shiningseastudio.com/Underwater/Grand-Turk/37112819_kBrFWz#!i=3088921518&k=DfFpsz3

     

    And finally a reasonably decent grouper shot..

    http://www.shiningseastudio.com/Underwater/Grand-Turk/37112819_kBrFWz#!i=3088917827&k=mGqB26k

     

     

     

  2. I' m new to UW photography and still working out exactly what gear to start with. Your "go slow" tip makes sense as during the few dives I've done, I have noticed when stationary fish come to me - inquisitive creatures. I like your photos - great variety and varied composition - thanks for sharing. Do you mind sharing what gear you were using ie camera, lens, lighting etc.

  3. I am using a Nikon D7000 with two Z240 strobes. Lenses vary but the wide angle is with the Tokina 10-17 while nearly all macro is with the Nikon 105. I used a D90 until upgrading to the D7000.

  4. For wide angle, don't breath a lot, don't move much, and never chase a subject. If you chase, all you get is fish buts. I can send you plenty of photos of those.

     

    Never act like you are hunting your subject. They will pick up on that behavior.

     

    For macro, get the longest lens your water clarity will allow if you are shooting skittish subjects.

  5. Don't eye ball fish as they think you will eat them.!!!!

     

    goose

  6. Don't move directly at your subject, but take a circuitous route

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.