Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Rent dSLR package for 10 days?

Started by JackConnick ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Rent dSLR package for 10 days?

7 posts
  1. Rent dSLR package for 10 days?

    Before I spend the big $$ on a UW dSLR system I would like to rent one and take it with me on my Baja trip this July. While the operators in La Paz have rentals, I really want to play with a higher end system like a dRebel or D100 or something to see what I think. It's a week long trip.

     

    I remember coming across a mail-order outfit that does weekly rentals on the web, but can't find them again via Google. They had new, high-end equipment. I know Backscatter does, but they are very expensive for more than a day or so.

     

    Anybody have any links? I am _not_ looking for consumer digitals, but a better dSLR system with a couple of lenses and strobes to rent.

     

    TIA,

    Jack

  2. I wonder if Oceanbrite in San Diego may also rent equipment - might be worth asking them.

     

    Perhaps you can rent a Jonah 10D or D100 housing.

     

    Yes, Backscatter also does rentals - they are the only one that I know for SURE does it.

     

    Cheers

    James

  3. Have you tried Stephen Frink at www.stephenfrink.com?

     

    His website lists rentals on Seacam housing for D1X. Thats about as non-consumer as you can get!

     

    Bruce Dickson

  4. Have you tried Stephen Frink at www.stephenfrink.com?

     

    His website lists rentals on Seacam housing for D1X. Thats about as non-consumer as you can get!

     

    At $500/day and $250/day in transit, Jack would have paid for the housing by the time he finishes his trip, and then he'd have to give it back :(.

     

    That would really suck :shock:

     

    <edit>: I'm adding a couple of smilies to let bdickinson know I'm not having a go at him :):( </edit>

  5. Jack,

     

    Are there any private parties who live near you that would be willing to "rent" their system to you?

     

    I've loaned expensive lenses to people who I've met on the board with the agreement that "you break it, you buy it" (or repair it). Someone might be willing to loan/rent a system to you if it meant enough money to make significant upgrades to their system (like adding a 2nd strobe, etc).

     

    Someone approached me last year about renting my system to another person signed up on an organized trip they had planned. I probably would have done it if I wasn't heading to the Galapagos a week later.

     

     

    Just another option,

     

    John

  6. A couple, but they'd probably rather lend me one of their right n*ts. We'll see. I am borrowing back most of my MMII system for a trip up to Canada next weekend.

     

    Perhaps I've stumbled upon a business idea... I should think that a lot of people would want to try this stuff out. I, for instance, have grave doubts about using the viewfinder on an Ike or other compact dSLR system. Best system in the world doesn't work very well if you can't frame with it.

     

    I could of sworn I saw a place on the web that had a weekly rental of nice gear, all in a crate that was easily shipable. Price wasn't that bad all things considered.

     

    Jack

  7. Hey Jack,

    Down here in Los Angeles is ABSea Photo that has a rental department. I don't know how extensive their digital line is yet but it's worth talking to them. In addition you can apply 50% of your rental toward a purchase although their prices are a litlle high. They are located a few minutes from LAX (walking distance if you have a long layover).

Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.