Rather than hard-coding each feature added to google maps I wanted to create a simple list, with one entry for each feature. That required a bit of reading about javascript, which seems to be an interesting programming language and not too hard to understand if you are already familiar with a language like python.
To see the results for the Twin Rocks dive site go to: http://hazeslab.med.ualberta.ca/diveMaps/Twin_Rocks.html
To see the results for the Anilao dive area go to: http://hazeslab.med.ualberta.ca/diveMaps/diveMapAnilao.html
(these links are temporary. I will post a more permanent place in late June, after I get back from my trip).
Hovering over each feature gives you a label.
Clicking a dive site icon jumps to that site but currently I'm only working on the Twin Rocks (all others link to that page for now).
Clicking on a fish, gives a larger picture, common and scientific name, habitat description, and link to fishbase.
Ultimately, I want to have some buttons or pull-down menus outside the map where you can select to see just all butterflyfishes, corals, nudis, ... But that is for another weekend.
Bart
Here is how the three fish features are implemented
var fishList = [
{family:'Pomacentridae', genus:'Amphiprion', species:'ocellaris',
common:'False clown anemonefish', pict:'PICT0492',
habitat:'always lives in/near an anemone',
position:new google.maps.LatLng(13.689823, 120.889906)},
{family:'Carangidae', genus:'Caranx', species:'sexfasciatus',
common:'Bigeye trevally', pict:'PICT1171',
habitat:'forms a large school near Twin Rocks pinnacles during the day. Hunts at night',
position:new google.maps.LatLng(13.690522, 120.889039)},
{family:'Chaetodontidae', genus:'Chaetodon', species:'baronessa',
common:'Eastern triangular butterflyfish', pict:'PICT0458',
habitat:'Coral-rich areas. Mostly along reef edge at Twin Rocks',
position:new google.maps.LatLng(13.690699, 120.889243)}
];
Adding a new species is as easy as duplicating an existing one and updating the fields between curly braces. A bit of javascript then creates all the thumbnails with associated popup info window and even the link to fishbase. A similar list defines position, names, and URLs for dive sites.