Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Travel File Storage - Image Tank

Started by james ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Travel File Storage - Image Tank

4 posts
  1. I use one. Got it for $300 including a 10GB disc. It's very simple; has slots for SM and CP cards, push one button to store, has a USB connection to connect to a PC.

     

    Herb

  2. I have one, too and have reviewed it a couple times in other threads. I, too, got 10GB of storage for under $300. If all you want to do is store pictures until you get home, it is a decent solution, though there are other new ones out there that have more features.

     

    Pros:

     

    Cost effective

    Small

    Integral slots for SM, CF, (i.e., no PC card swapping if you use both of these kinds of cards)

    Ability to put in whatever size hard-drive you can find (if you get the no-hard-drive version)

     

    Cons:

     

    Not truly portable w/o an external battery pack (there is no internal re-chargeable battery; it comes with a holder for 6 AAs; it is compatible with external powerpacks (e.g., Maha))

    AC adapter is a bit Rube-Golberg-ian

    No ability to see pictures

    No ablilty to navigate the menu structure (once something is saved there, you can only access the files by plugging it into a computer

    Only supports CF and SM

     

    Another interesting thing -- they show a Memory Stick on the ad you've linked to -- the Image Tank (or Bank) is not compatible with Memory stick!

     

    One more thing: the product site (at www.simacorp.com) has links to three third-party reviews . . .

     

    Mike

  3. Thanks guys!

     

    I'm thinking I will get an Image Tank now that I have a DSLR and 1 gigabyte microdrive. If I fill the Microdrive up w/ RAW's, I can dump it onto the image tank. I don't need the image preview really.

     

    When I get home, I can drop the hard drive into my Firewire hard drive bay and zip - whoosh - blam - it's on my home PC.

     

    Too bad about the batteries and AC Adapter - but what do you expect for "bare bones" I guess.

     

    Cheers

    James

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.