Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Four crabs and a shrimp (should that be a movie title?)

Started by coinee ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Four crabs and a shrimp (should that be a movie title?)

3 posts
  1. Hi there! I 'just' came back from a safari in the Lhaviyani, Baa, Raa, and Noonu atolls in the Maldives. Had a few very interesting dives with lots of cool creatures. https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/105075711684827778699/albums/5986576625013961377 for the full set...

     

    There were a bunch of things I couldn't figure out, they're all from night dives by the way. Thank you very much for the help!

     

    1. Some sort of hinge-beak shrimp maybe?

    P2270353.jpg

     

    2. Two crabs in a coral. The one on the right is relatively easy, although I don't have my book right now and I seem to forget names faster than I learn them...

    P2270368.jpg

     

    3. Very cute furry crab. Couldn't quite get it into focus, as it was only around 5-8mm wide:

    P2270338.jpg

     

    4. Some type of candy crab?

    P2270350.jpg

  2. Hi Fabian,

     

    looks like you had a great trip!

     

    1. Cinetorhynchus hendersoni.

     

    2. Not a lot to go by for me on that left crab, the right one is a Trapezia tigrina.

     

    3. Squat Lobster, Galathea sp.

     

    4. Soft Coral Crab, Hoplophrys oatesii.

     

     

    Cheers,

    Jim

  3. Amazing, thanks Jim! I love the soft coral crab. So pretty!

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.