Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Yet another DIY fibresnoot

Started by Erbster ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

Yet another DIY fibresnoot

9 posts
  1. Looking to improve my lighting of small subjects, I have made my own fibre snoot for my Inon Z-240. I got the idea from Rob White's www.marinepix.co.uk web site.

     

    Details and photos on my blog (undersea-images.wordpress.com); improvement suggestions welcome.

     

    post-36296-0-24647200-1395214931_thumb.jpg

  2. Nice DIY setup ! Why didn't you use two fibers for the two flash tubes

    of the Z-240 ?

  3. Well, I didn't feel an especially strong need for two light sources. The black plastic which screws to the strobe face was made from a DVD spindle, so it had one hole.

  4. I get it. Thank you for sharing.

  5. I have been considering doing something similar for a YS-D1, but with the addition of focus light.

     

    Most people find it difficult to get the snoot-light at the right place and it often takes many iterations before the light is right at your focus point.

     

    My idea is to put some of the fibers in front of the strobe’s LED light instead of in front or the flash tube. If there is some continuous light coming out from the fiber snoot, it would be much easier to aim the light. Both the YS-D1 and the z240 have excellent lights for this purpose.

     

    Do you think this is feasible? I don’t have any experience in working with optical fibers like this.

  6. I think this is feasible but I'm not convinced the light from the spotting torch would be bright enough. If I were pursuing this, then I think it would be worth having a trial out of the water by temporarily fixing some fibre optic to the spotting light and trying it out.

  7. Good point there. I will make a simple prototype to test the concept before making the final version.

  8. I make my own snoots for the D1 and now making a set for a friend's Z240. The light on the D1 isn't bright enough to aim with, especially if you're looking at piggy backing it onto the main light. I saw that someone sells a laser that you can mount on the arm to help aim them, I think it was 10-Bar.

     

    Cheers

  9. Hi Stewart.

    When you say "isn't bright enough to aim with", do you mean that the light can't be seen in the viewfinder whatsoever, or do you mean it's too weak for the camera to fucus on?

     

    / Sven

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.