The ultimate bummer occurred this afternoon. After 3 dives at Sorido Bay Resort in Raja Ampat, the Rear Dial knob gear fell off the shaft loosing the Rear Dial knob shaft to move freely in the hole and if not careful pull out of the housing.
2 years of planning and money for a once in a lifetime 2 week stay down the tubes. I rather doubt they will overnight me a new housing.
Everyone should check their housings to make sure that the gear or gears with a shaft through the housing is secure. It would appear that the keeper for the gear either fell out or was never installed.
I have sent a email to Nauticam USA as it was back side of the clock here to talk to anyone there.
My serial number is A064698
Sucks to be me.
Jay
Damn... so are you missing any pieces? or is it just loose? Any way of fudging it while you there?
What a shame
Since pressure with depth will push it in, use duck tape so it does not fall out
Arghhh that sucks! You may try to fix that temporary with epoxy glue or duct tape. Chris
Sorry to hear that. I sounds like the securing pin on the inner dial has somehow loosened and come out. The gear on the inside should have a hole in it which meshes with a hole on the shaft. All you need is a thin, long something to fill this hole temporarily to keep the gear in place for this trip. Even a paperclip would do the job, wrapped around the top of the dial. You have the vacuum system on the housing I think so can check the integrity of the system.
Email me photos if you don’t hear back from your supplier quickly and I’ll see what I can suggest. alex@uwvisions.com
The ultimate bummer occurred this afternoon. After 3 dives at Sorido Bay Resort in Raja Ampat, the Rear Dial knob gear fell off the shaft loosing the Rear Dial knob shaft to move freely in the hole and if not careful pull out of the housing.
2 years of planning and money for a once in a lifetime 2 week stay down the tubes. I rather doubt they will overnight me a new housing.
Everyone should check their housings to make sure that the gear or gears with a shaft through the housing is secure. It would appear that the keeper for the gear either fell out or was never installed.
I have sent a email to Nauticam USA as it was back side of the clock here to talk to anyone there.
My serial number is A064698
Sucks to be me.
Jay
Hi Jay,
We received your email and have sent an initial reply. Please check that and we'll have more info for you soon.
Regards,
Chris
Per the usual excellent Customer service Chris Parsons sent me a field repair pictorial.
After scrounging around Utta's office at Sorido Bay Resort we came up with a exact size paperclip as Chris alluded to in the field repair tutorial and I completed open housing surgery. The patient recovered fully and has completed 6 dives without a hitch. Many more to come before heading back to the grind next Wednesday.
Thanks to all for the thoughts and ideas and it would seem that Alex was on the same pace as Chris/Nauti.
My 4th Nauti housing and what can I say. Thanks Chris.