Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

OM-D E-M5 video: Annoying background noise

Started by Storker ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

OM-D E-M5 video: Annoying background noise

5 posts
  1. When recording video with my E-M5, I've noticed I have a weird background noise to all of my videos. It can be heard here. First time, I believed it was the engine of the boat we were diving from, but as I've been taking more videos, I hear it on every video. It's not there when I take videos topside, without the housing.

     

    I've been experimenting a bit topside, and it seems as if the sound comes when the camera is moved. When I'm supporting the housing on my knee, it disappears shortly, but as soon as I'm panning it returns. It seems to be the same whether or not I use stabilizing, so I'd appreciate tips on possible causes and ways to avoid the noise. It's pretty annoying, and I'd like to be able to use the underwater sounds as a background to the soundtrack.

     

     

     

    Gear setup: OM-D E-M5 in Nauticam NA-EM5, M Zuiko 9-18mm f/4-5.6, 4" dome port, Inon Z240.

    Edited by Storker
  2. It could be the autofocus. See what happens if you focus lock.

    Either way underwater I usually set audio to off as there is nothing really exciting in the sounds with very few exceptions

  3. Most likely the image stabilisation whirring noise.

  4. I had a similar problem a while ago and many people suggested it was the image stabilisation. I cant tell you how to fix it as the noise mine was making stopped abruptly and i havent heard it since. Maybe try resetting the firmware?

  5. When recording video with my E-M5, I've noticed I have a weird background noise to all of my videos. It can be heard here. First time, I believed it was the engine of the boat we were diving from, but as I've been taking more videos, I hear it on every video. It's not there when I take videos topside, without the housing.

     

    I've been experimenting a bit topside, and it seems as if the sound comes when the camera is moved. When I'm supporting the housing on my knee, it disappears shortly, but as soon as I'm panning it returns. It seems to be the same whether or not I use stabilizing, so I'd appreciate tips on possible causes and ways to avoid the noise. It's pretty annoying, and I'd like to be able to use the underwater sounds as a background to the soundtrack.

     

     

     

    Gear setup: OM-D E-M5 in Nauticam NA-EM5, M Zuiko 9-18mm f/4-5.6, 4" dome port, Inon Z240.

    If the noise is there with Image stabilization is off and you are panning is the lens auto focus motor nothing to do with image stabilisation

     

    When you pan and your lens is in continuous focus as it should be in movie mode you get noise as the lens adjusts. Inside the housing this is amplified as external sounds are attenuated. If your camera has a way to focus lock set it on and then try panning the camera in a quiet environment with and without focus lock.

     

    I had once a little videocamera with an underwater housing with no image stabiliser and when I was panning it I got the noise. This was never noticeable outside water but once in the housing it got is a way amplified

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.