Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

OMD EM-1 with 12-50mm or 60mm micro

Started by Scuba_SI ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

OMD EM-1 with 12-50mm or 60mm micro

7 posts
  1. Hi,

    I used to have the 60mm but I sold that along with the EM-5, and with the EM-1 I bought the gear for the 12-50mm but I can't help but feel that the 60mm was much faster to focus.

     

    For the same size subjects, what is your opinion on the lenses? Do you find that the 60mm is faster focussing or am I imagining things? :) I have the Nauticam SMC - so for max magnification I think I have about the same.

     

    The reason for dropping the 60mm was that when we rent the camera to someone coming from a point and shoot setup they find the FOV of the 60mm to be too tight.

     

    Cheers,

    Simon

     

  2. 60mm is better I think.

  3. The 60mm macro has better image quality, it is faster if being used at similar focal length and it has higher magnification with or without the SMC closeup lens. It is a true 1:1 macro lens.

     

    The 12-50 zoom obviously has a wider range of coverage and more appeal for your renters unless they are hard core macro photographers.

  4. Thanks Phil. Still in limbo with this rig :)

  5. I would like to keep this post alive. I like a lot the 4/3 14-54mm for some dives. You can get a wide angle and a enough macro but... with the 12-50 m4/3 what about the zoon ring and the macro button switch??? Is something crazy, for me...

     

    http://www.reefphoto.com/kb.php?id=41

     

    I am not optimist about who will desing a zoom gear in other brands...

     

    I mean, is very complicated to get macro functionality with an extension ring.

    Edited by Rajesh
  6. Thanks Juzzi, I think this is a simple zoom gear, I mean, don't permit switch to macro mode. I know I can use the lens with the 50mm and wet diopters but... just asking to get more ;)

     

    By the way, I'm want buy the Aquatica housing so... I will need the Aquatica zoom gear.

     

    Again, thanks for your support.

     

    Carlos

    Edited by Rajesh
Reef Photo & Video

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.