Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Advice on the Sigma 150mm 2.8

Started by TomR1 ·

  • 10Posts
  • 10Replies

Read-only discussion

Advice on the Sigma 150mm 2.8

10 posts
  1. I have plenty of experience with the 105 VR macro qnd +5 and +10 diopters but have used the Sigma lens infrequently. What can anyone tell me about how the rig handles underwater compared to the 105 and their experiences and results using it.

     

    I am diving mostly muck stuff in Dumagette the first week Moaboal the second. I have a D-300 with dual z-240 strobes in Seatool housing.

     

    Regards,

     

    Tom

  2. I'm interested to hear about experience with this lens too.

  3. I was hoping that others have used this lens. It appears that it will provide more magnification at the same working distance but is slower focusing than the 105. However, a new lens takes time to get right underwater and to learn its quirks.

  4. The land reviews of this lens seem to indicate that the OS version (newer version) is very fast to focus.

  5. I've done eight dives with OS version on my Canon 7D and I like it a lot. It is much longer, heavier and the auto focus is a little slower than my Canon 100 .macro. The minimum focus distance is only approximately 40mm/1.6in more than the Canon 100. Shooting super macro with a Subsee +5 yields around the same 2:1 that I get with the Subsee +10 on my 100 macro but with double the working distance, so it is much easier to use for this type of photography. Using a Subsee +10 on the 150 will get you around 3:1 magnification but is an exercise in frustration as this is very difficult to achieve unless you are shooting in very still water and have the camera held very steady. I find it is a great lens for small fish that don't like you getting too close and it will be my go to lens for dedicated super macro photography.

     

    ROSS1260-M.jpg

     

    ROSS1274-M.jpg

     

    ROSS1308-M.jpg

     

    ROSS1859-M.jpg

     

    ROSS1864-M.jpg

     

    ROSS1905-M.jpg

     

     

     

     

     

    ROSS2103-M.jpg

     

    ROSS2204-L.jpg

     

    ROSS2167-M.jpg

  6. Grudge-

     

    Thanks. Longer and heavier than the 105 is the kind of advice I can use. I have a full Stix ring on my 105 port so I ordered another in case I need more flotation. I also ordered an interesting "t" handle muck stick. I can use it to brace the camera in Dumagette muck dives.

     

    The longer working distance should make a big difference in subsee lighting.

     

    Tom

  7. Off to the Philippines for two weeks. I'll advise the functionality of the Sigma 150 macro as I can from there.

     

    Tom

    tomreynolds_ilan@yahoo.com

  8. Great photos! I had two Sigma lenses and both required calibration. Make sure your doesent need one - or try microadjustment function.

    _____________________________________________________________________________________

    Canon 6D | Canon 35 f2 IS | Canon 70-200 f2.8 L IS II | Canon 24-105 f4 L IS | Canon 100 mm Macro

    Foto Nunta Brasov | Fotograf Nunta Brasov | Foto video Nunta Brasov | Foto Video Brasov

  9. The Sigma did not work well in the Philippines because of the poor visibility. However, I am off to Bali and Wakatobi where the vis should be better. Pictures when I return.

Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.