As you know Blackmagic unveiled version 11 of their famous color correction software, DaVinci Resolve. CC apart, this new main release contains over 70 new editing features and is now a full-fledged editing solution.
Previous version, Resolve 10 already had some basic NLE feature as well. Anyone has tried using it as NLE? Any Feedback?
I'm an Edius lover and I should migrate to version 7 ( $$$)
I saw that the free resolve lite has everything I should ever need and more but I'm a bit scare of its learning curve and speed on a normal computer.
Hummm... it seem that I'm the only one... Plenty of uncharted waters for Blackmagic here
I'm using resolve10 right now for editing work (I'm working with bmcc raw footage so my aim is to avoid having to switch software as much as possible), but coming from editing with premiere CC I have to say it is a bit lacking in comparison. UI, editing workflow as well as tools. Resolve11 looks promising though.
If you have a decent computer & graphics card and are not working with huge raw files speed shouldn't be a concern in resolve.
Right now I have a Intel Core i7-2600K CPU @3.40GHz, 8,0GB RAM, Intel HD Graphics + ATI HD7850 on Win7 64bit.
I'm able to edit my 140Mb AVCHD files straight into Edius without transcoding. I can add several filters and CC on several tracks and still be able to play in real time. Furthermore it's able to use Intel Quick Sync technology for H.264 hardware encoding so export process it's two/three times faster than normal sw encoding.
It's hard to leave it But I guess I have to bite the bullet and give it a try.
Your machine doesn't sound to bad for avchd footage. Resolve was only supporting Cuda (which is nvidia only I believe) up till R9 or 10 but they do have openCL support now so the ATI should be ok.
I think when you start CC'ing your footage in resolve you will see performance dropping quite a bit. Resolve uses your graphics card to encode for export, so it should be also faster than software encoding. I'm not sure how it will hold up against Edius though
One of the biggest issues I find though is that Resolve's workflow is all about having a good external grading monitor. You cannot trust the viewer in the resolve UI for color accuracy, especially if it's not a 10bit display with rec709 (or p3) colorspace. The learning curve for me in Resolve was steep, but I have to say it's also a very intuitive once you grasp the concepts and know the limitations.
Not to sound like a fan boy but Edius it's probably the fastest NLE until you stay within it's native tools. As you drop in the timeline an external filter or plugin the game is over E.g. As I use a magica bullet look I'm forced to rendering at each edit or look change. I hope that with openCL support my card will suffice for basic editing and grading.
Regarding the external grading monitor I think it's not a Resolve issue but a more general one. I have a simple Dell U2412M an IPS LED 1920x1200 16:10 monitor and most of the times my video looks completely different on other screens. Given that a new expensive monitor is not in my future right now I use to preview them on my tv and some monitor and eventually apply some correction prior of publication.
We use Resolve to do a basic grade and transcode when we've shot raw on the FS700 or Phantom, as with Nihal, reasonably embedded with Adobe CC for any editing tasks... interesting that BM are extending the functionality of Resolve, especially when there are so many up in arms about CCs subscription pricing policy, but as it is as the mo, I think it will remain a tool that we go to when we need to.
im using resolve 10 at the moment and still learning about the file and color. do you know why my fcp cannot export to resolve 10?