Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Miniscule blue thing from New Zealand

Started by Adumbrate ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Miniscule blue thing from New Zealand

3 posts
  1. This was one of a few tiny blue creatures clinging to the side of our boat as we came up from a dive in Hahei, New Zealand.

     

    It wouldn't surprise me if this was a rather common creature and possibly well known, but I wouldn't have a clue where to begin looking for proper identification as I cannot even fathom a guess as to the correct taxonomic classification.

     

    At most 3mm long, this was the best photo I could manage I'm afraid, but I'm hoping it contains enough detail to make out what it is. I've also attached the other photo I got, but that was at f/32 and rather fuzzy as a result.

     

    Q5XVqrP.jpg

    -
    5WyzqxP.jpg

     

    Thanks for all the help everyone!

  2. Looks like an egg, thats just hatched, moving from larvae to juvenile? I'm no expert, however it reminds me of a mahi-mahi....

    Edited by Stuart Keasley
  3. Looks like an egg, thats just hatched, moving from larvae to juvenile? I'm no expert, however it reminds me of a mahi-mahi....

    According to this link a larval/juvenile mahi-mahi looks like this, and is as such also quite a bit larger.

     

    This was truly smaller than the width of a fingernail, and the eye looks like a bead, not really fully formed like in it seems to show in juvenile fish.

Nauticam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.