Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Goby

Started by acroporas ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Goby

5 posts
  1. Goby

    Does anyone know what this goby is? I cant find a match in Humann and I dont have any of my other fish ID books with me.

     

    I see tons these guy at night in the keys but never during the day so it could just be someones night pattern.

     

    Any ideas.

     

    CRW_8666_RJ.jpg

  2. Bridled

    Looks like a Bridled Goby to me which is in Humann edition 2

     

    i dont see the lines but its not the best photo to go by. the grey opacity of the fish and the electric blue spots can be found on the Bridled

    Digideep has a good picture

    All other pictures I have seen have been too small but they get their nake because of a line from mouth to gill that looks like a bridle, do you have another photo that might show that ? I ask as I have only seen other photos of these guys in the sand. :)

  3. As you said bidled gobys are allways in the sand and I would assume they were near the sand at night too. I have only seen this fish in barrell sponges and at night. The light stripe on the back is allways there and in the same place. That is what I have been looking for in id books although it could be its night pattern and isnt there in the day. They are allways one inch or less in length.

     

    On my next night dive I will try to take a look/get a pic from the side. Or better yet I can just catch one and see what it looks like in the morning...

  4. Hi, this is a sponge-dwelling goby. They hide inside the sponges during the day, that's why you don't see them. I can't tell if it is a Risor or Evermanichthies from this picture, maybe if you get a picture of the side...

  5. The angle makes it hard to find an identifing charatoristic.

     

    Where was the photo taken?

     

    Assuming its off SE Florida, I going to take a wild guess and say:

     

    Rose Blenny

     

    The pectorals are out and there are red dots on top of the head. Usually they are not as "clear" as your picture, but color variation is always present.

     

    --Matt

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.