Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

GS for Aquatica?

Started by AndreSmith ·

  • 12Posts
  • 12Replies

Read-only discussion

GS for Aquatica?

12 posts
  1. Does anybody know if a Subal GS viewfinder can be attached to a Aquatica housing?

     

    Also are the Subal and Aquatica zoom rings interchangeable?

     

    Thanks for any info

     

    Andre

  2. I can manufacture a custom adapter to fit your Subal GS viewfinder in a Aquatica housing. Drop me a email or pm

  3. Backscatter may have an existing adapter for that purpose, can't say for sure. If you measure the OD of your GS VF then I can tell you if it fits in the Aquatica's VF opening. As for Zoom Gear, Aquatica has 2 gear sizes, the Series 1 & 4. Which housing are you wanting to use, I can see about measuring it for you. Basically, all current housings use the Series 4 gears, older ones use Series 1.

     

    Cheers

     

    S.

  4. I saw a neat DIU zoom gear recently.

    Buy a Fotodiox Replacement Gear Ring Belt from Amazon .

    You may need to shim it up on the inside, but for $12.00?

    Will only work for about 300* rotation, and do not worry about any gear teeth pitch mismatch.

  5. Blibecap, Stewart and Okuma - thanks very much for your replies.

     

    The background to my question is that I have had a long line of Subal housings over the years and have all the necessary ports, extension rings, zoom gears that I need. I would now like to house my Canon 70D camera but Subal does not have a housing for it. So I am thinking Nauticam or Aquatica - both of these offer port adaptors for Subal so at least I will be able to use my Subal ports and extensions. Hence also looking at using an existing viewfinder and zoom rings.

     

    I suspect the Subal GS viewfinder is not going to fit without an adaptor - seems like Blibecap has the solution. Stewart, the GS fits in 35mm opening in the housing and needs about 7mm thickness for the 2 O-rings to seat. My Subal zoom gears have an outer diameter of 90mm. If you could check those against the Aquatica counterparts I would be very grateful.

     

    If the viewfinder doesn't work out I will contact you Blibecap about the adapter and if the zoom gears don't match I will look at Okuma's solution.

     

    Thanks guys

    Andre

  6. I can tell you that the subal viewfinder is smaller than the Aquatica viewfinder hole. My Aquatica zoom gear measures 89mm outside the teeth.

    Bill

  7. Andre,

     

    If you want to see the Aquatica A70D housing, I have it in stock, not sure where you are in BC, I'm in Richmond. I also have a bunch of 4 series zoom gears if you want to check them out.

     

    S.

  8. Thanks Blibecap and Stuart

     

    I have sent you both pm's

  9. For info... Nauticam have an off the shelf Subal viewfinder adapter to use on Nauticam housings.

  10. Thanks Alex

     

    I haven't been able to find that part in the catalogue or elsewhere( adapter for Nauticam viewfinder to Subal housing yes, but not Subal viewfinder to Nauticam housing.) Do you have the part no. and price for it please?

     

    Thanks, Andre

  11. Hi Andre, It is a bespoke item, you’d need to speak to your dealer to get one. Alex

  12. Got it :-)

     

    Thanks Alex

Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.