Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Nauticam 45 viewfinder wobble?

Started by Akoni ·

  • 12Posts
  • 12Replies

Read-only discussion

Nauticam 45 viewfinder wobble?

12 posts
  1. Does anyone have a slight wobble or 'play' in their 45 Nauticam viewfinder? My copy wobbles slightly if you hold the body in one hand and move the 'mounting tube' up/down with the other. Not sure if this is normal or acceptable. The 180 finder I have does not have any discernible play....maybe they are constructed differently?

     

    If some folks can check theirs and report back that would be great!

    Edited by Akoni
  2. Hi Akoni

     

    It's funny cause I have the straight viewfinder that kind of moves. Not exactly a wobble but feels kind of loose. Although having said this have never had a leak.

     

    Diggy

  3. Yes, there is a bit of side to side play in those that I have used. Never been a problem though.

  4. mine wobbles a wee bit. perfectly dry though. No worries.

    --Rob

  5. Ditto....my 45-degree VF has a tiny bit of "play" in it, but no issues at all.

  6. Good to hear I'm not the only one. Thanks folks!

     

     

    ps. To clarify the original post for anyone researching finders, the 180 version does not rotate.

    Edited by Akoni
  7. My Nauticam viewfinder also "wobble" slightly when the viewfinders are on the housing above the water. But when underwater the water pressure, and also the negative internal pressure of my vacuum seal leak detector, seem to hold the viewfinder in place better. Nauticam uses an o-ring to hold the viewfinder in the housing. And has two o-rings on the viewfinder "tube". I believe it is these o-rings that are the cause of the viewfinder wobble. I've been down to depths of about 200' repeatedly with the Nauticam viewfinder on my Subal ND800, via an adapter, and never had a drop of water get in the housing.

     

    Fred

  8. My 45 also wobbles a tiny bit, but never put much thought into, since my housing a vacuum system on it, and it holds vacuum every time.

  9. I must admit I was a bit alarmed when I saw how my VF was attached and the slight play. Even queried it with

    my supplier. However it has never ever been an issue and I have total confidence in it. I guess my only potential

    concern is what could happen if it was somehow snagged and then pulled at a shallow depth.

     

    Cheers,

    Jim.

  10. Not sure if the 45 finder uses a single or double barrel o-ring to seal between rotating parts. I would guess mine is a single or if it's a double....one might be missing. I have added a vacuum system to my housing for added peace of mind. I'll ask the techs next time I'm at the store.

  11. Hi Akoni, the part that goes into the hole of the housing has two O rings. And then there is the retainer O ring that you put on inside the housing once the view finder is pushed inside. So 3 o rings totally. http://reefphoto.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=5827

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Edited by diggy
  12. Hi Akoni, the part that goes into the hole of the housing has two O rings. And then there is the retainer O ring that you put on inside the housing once the view finder is pushed inside. So 3 o rings totally. http://reefphoto.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=5827

     

    Diggy, understood. However, I am referring to the internal o-rings that allow the viewfinder to rotate.

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.