Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

any overunder tips?

Started by Marjo ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

any overunder tips?

8 posts
  1. any overunder tips?

    Hi Guys,

     

    I was trying to take overunder pix this weekend. I found that it was a problem, because the "over" part would come out with visible splotches from the water drops in the domeport. Is there a way to prevent this? I have heard that rubbing a slice of green apple on the port would be good or putting some dishwasing liquid of the port might help, however, wouldn't that make it even messier? Anyone tried these or other tricks and what worked?

  2. Hi!

     

    First of all, a HUGE port is a great help. Then, anything that stops droplets from staying on the glass. I remember a fluid that was used to get stain free film surfaces that may help. Actually anything that reduces the surface tension of water will "blast" the dropplets. You may test a few things in a bucket. It's the quickest way to find out what fits your needs. Be careful to avoid things that may harm your port (esp. if you have an acrylic dome). I think that the "absolutely stainless" kind of dishwashing fluids will do it. You could also try the products you use during the last (rinsing) stage of a dishwasher to get stainless glasses (without any bubbling or cleaning componentes). Please use just a few drops and test it at home to find the right amount. You surely don't want to turn your dive site into a foam bath pool ;-)

     

    Helge ;-)=)

  3. Salivate works fine for me.... :roll: ...spitting on my dome was a great experience!!! :shock: But the result is fine....

     

    Always make these pictures in low deep water for the light.....

     

    My picture was taken in 40 cm of water...no flash....

  4. Am I Sarruman ???? :?

     

    Everytime I post.....nobody replies....... :)

  5. Oy Saruman! Thanks for the tip, don't know if I can come up with that much spit as port is rather large, but if spit works then bringing a regular bottle of gorillasnot for masks, should do the same trick I suppose. Ypur pic of the ray is gorgeous, it inspired me to put together my rig tonight and try to do something similar toomorrow morning. Thanx!

  6. Never forget.....the less water u have....the better it is!! And the sun in ur back.....not in front of you!!

     

     

     

     

    .....and going to Moorea help a lot!!!! :)

  7. I went out yesterday to shoot some more split shots off my kayak and I finally tried out the baby shampoo (Johnson & Johnson). It worked quite well but unfortunately it doesn't last very long. The nice thing is that they make a small, pocket-sized bottle that you can easily carry with you.

     

    I have also heard that Pledge works well but I haven't tried it. Do be very careful what you put on your dome as some of chemicals can damage it. Personally, I'd just carry a small shamee and dry the lens at the surface.

     

    One other tip I can give you... If you're kayaking, make sure to turn off your cellphone. It will ring just as you're about to get a split shot of a shark and scare the animal away. :)

  8. I find that the best way to avoid droplets on the dome is to not get it wet in the first place! I know this sounds silly/obvious - but if you are shooting split levels then there is no need to get the dome wet! Keep the camera dry until you are ready to shoot then dip it in.

     

    OK. I realise you can't do this for all shots:

     

    1.jpg

Nauticam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.