Since 2008, I use both strobes and video lights for my Canon 5D MRK II, although I primarily shoot stills but don’t want to miss those moments when video becomes a must.
I achieve the above by mounting 2 Sea & Sea YS-90 strobes and 2 FIX 1000 video lights to the arms using UL triple clamps, as if the camera, the 16-35 mm lens, the Sea & Sea housing, and the 8” Zen optical glass dome were light weighted already!
So, I decided to go light as much as I can for my next trip to the Red Sea (two weeks from now), and I ordered 2 FIX Aquavolt 3500 lumen video lights, in addition GoPro 3+ to mount it on the housing for video only in order not to be distracted when taking stills.
My plan is not to take the strobes and only use the new video lights for both videos and stills, believing that 7000 lumens will suffice.
My question is, did anyone else tried video lights for stills? Any suggestions or tips would highly be appreciated.
There is another similar post, but no conclusion was made there and upon searching the net, I only found this great video about the issue but can’t verify if it works with DSLRs also:






