Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Tokina 100mm and Nauticam

Started by vjey ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Tokina 100mm and Nauticam

6 posts
  1. Hi, i want to buy a lens for macro but Nikon 105mm VR cost around $900 and I saw the Tokina 100mm. I want to buy this tokina, but I didn`t find which port I have to use on Nauticam port Chart.

     

    My question is: Has anyone tried this lens and which port I have to use.

     

    thanks.

  2. Hi, i want to buy a lens for macro but Nikon 105mm VR cost around $900 and I saw the Tokina 100mm. I want to buy this tokina, but I didn`t find which port I have to use on Nauticam port Chart.

     

    My question is: Has anyone tried this lens and which port I have to use.

     

    thanks.

    Hi vjey,

     

    I think we've had a few people use this lens, but it is not one we would tend to recommend. The lens extends quite a bit when focusing (almost doubling the length), which yields several problems, including making it much tougher to use an external close up lens. The focus is a screw drive style with a focus clutch ring, so switching between AF and MF underwater wouldn't be doable, and the screw drive lenses tend to be slower focusing with more hunting.

     

    The 105VR is a full time manual focus override lens with ultrasonic (AF-S) focus motor, so doesn't have either of these issues.

     

    Regards,

    Chris

  3. Although the Nikon 105 VR is my favorite Macro lens, if the $899 price tag is too steep, you might consider the Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED. It is a great macro lens that you can pick up for about $550 ($150 more than the Tokina but will give you much less headache). If you are shooting DX, you might find the 60mm preferable to the 105mm Nikon.

  4. I bought my 105VR from Nikon USA refurbished for $719 using a 10% coupon code I got in an email, and you couldn't tell it apart from a new one. They send these out fairly often.

  5. Loving your avatar CamelToad

  6. Thanks....I bought a pre-owened 105mm VR on ebay.

Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.