Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Lembeh Macro with 5D3 Magic Lantern

Started by escape ·

  • 12Posts
  • 12Replies

Read-only discussion

Lembeh Macro with 5D3 Magic Lantern

12 posts



  1. Underwater macro footage taken at Lembeh, North Sulawesi, Indonesia, diving with NAD Lembeh Resort.

    Gear : Canon 5D Mark III (Magic Lantern v1.2.3), 100mm lens, 1.4x teleconverter, Nauticam SMC, Nauticam housing.

    Software : RAWanizer, Lightroom, Sony Vegas

  2. Stunning stuff Eunjae

     

     

    I have always like the colour of the canon DSLrs and In the right hands the ML 5DMIII raw is a superb tool for full HD. Even then the footage up-res nicely on my Asus 4K TV at 60hz. The black Ribbon Eel is so clear. The detail you can resolve and colour you could pull out of the images is amazing. The fluffy hairy shrimp looked so "big". Some parts looks like you are using a high power microscope! You have very steady hands. Well done Eunjae.

     

    Thoroughly enjoyed that

     

    David

  3. Hmmm, I would watch but....

    Edited by MikeVeitch
  4. Amazing. Once again, something to aspire to.

  5. Again....Fantastic work Eunjae! Congrats on another great trip to Lembeh.

     

    Dustin

  6. Thanks for comments.

    I think ML is it worth it but processing is real PITA for run&gun style shooting.

    Direct access ML raw from NLE (maybe some sort of plug-in) will be great.

  7. Eun Jae, there was a plug in called GingerHDR which allows direct access of .raw files without transcoding, but only for Adobe. But now they've shut down and no longer sold either. :(

  8. Very cool EunJae. It's got my taste buds going. I will be back at NAD in 3 days

  9. This is ML wide angle shot test. Only white balanced in Lightroom.

  10. Hi EunJae

     

    The ML colour depth from the Canon raw is pretty astonishing. I find for ambient wide angle I would use the original magic. It filter improves the Red and Blue channel. Before sequencing I upload to photoshop and using curves I could lift the red and then make the blue background vivid. The 16-35 f2.8 L II is made for this sort of shoot.

     

    I did some comparison with the Epic footage and the 5DMIII with ML and seriously after grading and both into HD I can say the 5D MIII could pretty much holds its own.

     

    Great job for demonstrating and testing the ML canon 5DMIII.

     

    Cheers

    David

  11. I'll try filter idea next time.

    I guess "Exposing to the right" will help for more room for WBing in post?

    btw, This shot was tokina 107 + 1.4tc with not proper length of ext ring.

  12. ETTR will give you better option in deeper sites as you can open aperture up and bump ISO higher so you could push the histogram to the right. And with a magic filter you will see the 3 colour channels pretty close together. Only in clear water that is. Trouble starts in shallow water. I just wish there is a way to flip an ND inside the port.

     

    Pretty good with 1.4TC on a FE. surprising good little lens this Tokina 10-17

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.