Hello, I've been shooting with the Nikkor 60mm ED f2.8 lens for several years now with a Nikon D200. Images are great when I get it right, but the biggest issue is camera shake in current. I have a Subal housing and the negative buoyancy means I put a few of the foam floats on the strobe arm to keep somewhat reasonably negative, but means any current throws the rig around a bit. I'm looking to see if there's a VR version that would work and there isn't a direct replacement. The closest seems to be the 85mm DX f3.5 lens. The 1/2f-stop loss doesn't seem too concerning given the VR, but it loses 8deg of angle (DX) and adds 10mm which means I need a new port or need to add and extender. So question is it worth it?
Thanks,
Nick.
I haven't noticed an issue with my 60/2.8D in current or surge that VR would fix...what shutter speed and other settings do you typically use? Shooting in manual?
I have the 105VR micro, which is a fantastic lens. I used it more than my 60 on a fairly recent trip to Lembeh.
I wouldn't have thought this an issue with the lens - or that VR would help. I've been using the Nikkor 60mm for about 14 years on D100s, D200s, D300s and now the D800 in Subal housings. No consistent camera shake issues. Same with the Nikkor 105mm - and I never switch on the VR.
Sounds more like a shooting speed issue, Nick. What shutter speed are you using?
Can't see VR assisting with camera wobble caused by water movement. Shooting Macro in a current situation certainly isn't ideal. When
I have been shooting in areas with surge or mild current the main issue has been getting focus lock.
Do you have any images to show what the issues you are having are resulting in. As Tim mentioned higher shutter speeds should freeze
the subject.
Cheers,
Jim.
I do think you are having a vibration problem. I think it is a focus problem, the D200 is not able to focus precisely with the movement of camera and subject in the current. I remember having problems with blurred exposures when I was shooting a D200 from movement.
Elmer
What shutter speed are you using?
Second on the shutter speed.
Unless you are trying for background light raise your shutter speed above 125 min