Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

decisions! GH3 or 5d mkii

Started by dbeat ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

decisions! GH3 or 5d mkii

5 posts
  1. Sooo I am trying to decide whether to upgrade from my epl3 to a gh3 or 5d mkii (or open to suggestions)

     

    I can get either of these two for roughly the same price...

     

    Any recommendations and if so why?

     

    Or shoehorn a epl5 into the epl3 housing and mod the video button to work.. Which looks easy enough..

     

    Any help is appreciated!

  2. I went from an EPL3 to a GH3 (now GH4)

     

    Mainly for the better video. As a stills camera there is nothing really wrong with the EPL3!

     

    But for sure it was a big jump for me, not just performance but housing size too!!

     

    The EPL5 is a cheap upgrade for you. You get 1/250 flash sync, better ISO and slightly better video. However I don't think it's the 'step' you are looking for?

     

    Also depends if you are invested in any decent Olympus or Panasonic glass and if you are already using the Nauticam housing/ port system?

     

    As selling it all and buying Canon stuff - this will work out expensive! As you never get back much on 2nd gear! :-(

     

    If you have lenses already I would look at the OMD range (tasty OBIS!!) or the GH3/4

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. Thanks for the reply...

     

    I really have not invested much at all in my epl3, olympus housing, fanasea wet dome and the camera with kit lens.. So anything I get I will need to buy lenses etc.

     

    Really struggling on the decision haha... How do you find the GH3/4 for stills? How does it feel size wise compared to the oly? huge difference? not too much?

     

    cheers

  4. The housing differences, between the Olympus PT-EP05L and the NA-GH3 housings are large. Not just weight but size. Everything is just a little bigger :) But in a good way - more stable underwater.

    I'm loving the GH4 - honestly I can't fault it (*at the moment, its got time to upset me yet :) )

    Perhaps the out of camera jpg colours of the Olympus give a bit more 'Pop' - but that is all down to profiles, and I think once I had the IBIS of an OMD I would have difficulty going back.

    I think you will be shocked at the jump to a FF Canon camera in a housing - its gonna be huge setup compared to a Olympus housing!

  5. Tough one!!! If it was photos only would go straight for the 5d mkii if video only the gh3.

     

    And struggling to decide where to make the concessions!!

     

    Thanks for the input!

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.