Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

3D printing gear for Olympus 12-50mm lens, need input

Started by kc_moses ·

  • 2Posts
  • 2Replies

Read-only discussion

3D printing gear for Olympus 12-50mm lens, need input

2 posts
  1. Hi all, I searched around to look for supply/seller of gear that goes on the Olympus 12-50mm lens that fit into the Nauticam Macro Port 65 (the port that's use for 60mm macro lens)

     

    The sellers I found are outside of US, price range from $60 pound to $150. During my search, I also found this:

     

    http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:36320/#instructions

     

    I manage to find a local company that can print the gear for me for $15. They actually charge by the hour so 3 files would take about 3 hours to print. However, the resolution will be 0.5mm. I'm wondering if anyone have gone this route. I requested to get a new quote for 0.1mm. If you have gone this route, which print resolution you used and if you have ran into any issue?

     

    Thanks!

     

    Moses

  2. I haven't looked at the thicknesses of that part in any detail, but most home-level machines (Makerbot, Solidoodle, etc) using the FFF method (Filament fusion fabrication) tend to an out-of-the-box tolerance of 0.3mm per layer in the vertical axis with tighter positional tolerance available in the XY plane and use a 1.75mm filament input thru a 0.35mm nozzle. So the supplier might just be covering their bases a bit quoting a 0.5mm tolerance.

     

    Cutting the tolerance to 0.1mm will mean a much longer print time, and potentially more warpage or weaker layer bonds on long prints although the surface finish will be cleaner. Really for a zoom gear that isn't very 'structural' I'd think the 0.5mm would be good enough, assuming the part design had some wiggle room for the meshing gears.

     

    I think the person who designed that posted it here too, you might ask him his thoughts ... do a search on the DIY/Unrequited Gear Lust page and it should turn up.

Isotta

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.