Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

What camera should I start with

Started by sacha99 ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

What camera should I start with

8 posts
  1. Hi, I'm looking for a camera to start diving with.

    I have a budget of 600€ and was considering buying used gear.

    I was thinking buying a compact camera or a micro 4/3rd setup as they are cheaper than SLRs. What would you recommend I look into ?

    thanks for your help :)

  2. Since you just started diving, indeed it is a good choice to start with a compact camera for your underwater photography, as it is small, light weight, easy to operate and maintain and most importantly doesn't distract you from focusing on your diving skills.

     

    I for one if given the option would go for a micro 4/3 camera as it produces better image quality and gives the option to use other lenses later. Therefore, if you find any used Olympus OMD or PEN series camera with its underwater housing within your budget, I'd say go for it. This is my personal preference and opinion and it's good to get as much feedback as possible before making the purchase.

  3. I meant I'm kind of new to underwater photography, in terms of diving I'm an advanced open water diver.
    Thanks for your input. Any advice on the flash, is it really necessary ?

  4. If you are diving beyond the 5 meter depth limit, which indeed you are, I'd say a strobe or even 2 strobes is a must to revive the lost colors with depth.

     

    For compact strobes with reasonable prices, I'd recommend Inon S-2000 or Sea & Sea YS-01. If you go with the strobe option, remember that you must have tray, handles, arms and joints to mount the strobes on and have a complete underwater housing set.

  5. I would agree with Ammar. If you can afford it look for a second hand micro 4/3rds set up it will give you better results and more flexibility.

  6. SLR is not an option for your budget.. Just the housing + Port is minimum of $1600 (Ikelite). Anyway I wouldn't recommend starting out with a dSLR.

    Micro 4/3 is an excellent option, but bear in mind that it's not significantly cheaper than dSLR. You still need a housing + port which is at least $1200-$1300. Even if you stretch that far, you won't have anything left for a strobe. Without overstating it - what makes awesome photos so awesome, is the strobe...

    You might be able to find a second hand bundle with camera, lens, housing and port but I can't imagine that would be under $1500.

     

    I would recommend getting a high-end compact such as the G16, which you can find bundled with the Fantasea housing. That would fit your budget and can provide excellent results. You can also grow and evolve with the system by adding strobes, wet lenses, video lights etc. and achieve very good results.

    I highly recommend starting out with the YS-01 strobe, but if you don't have the budget for that, try to get the most out of the internal flash until you are ready for a strobe.

  7. Hi, I found an used EPL1 with its olympus housing, the 14-42 and the UFL1 for 500€.

    I know this flash isn't the best but it sounds like a good way to start, would you recommend it ?

  8. Hello,

     

    I personally think it would be a good camera to start with, you can add lenses and strobes etc at a later date as your budget allows.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.