Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Help needed! RX100 II and XZ-2 any reviews or advice please

Started by JW8660 ·

  • 2Posts
  • 2Replies

Read-only discussion

Help needed! RX100 II and XZ-2 any reviews or advice please

2 posts
  1. Hi, I just wanted to ask people on their thoughts between two camera systems as I am undecided (and struggling) on what to pick!

    The first set up is a RX100 II, with recsea housing, YS-D1, UWL-04 Fisheye Lens, bluewater +7 macro lens.

    The second is a XZ-2, Olympus housing, Z240, Inon wide angle and dome port. (maybe an Inon macro lens as well).

    If it helps my main subjects will be sharks as I am going to a shark research station. I will use the camera mostly on boats and snorkeling on the surface, freediving with the camera and the occasional dive. I do also enjoy macro photography and that's why I've included the macro lenses.

    Also I wanted to ask if anyone can recommend any insurance company's as I will be away for just under 5 months and want to cover any camera gear, my laptop, etc.

  2. Read this http://interceptor121.wordpress.com/2014/04/18/2014-compact-camera-roundup/

     

    I have just come back from a trip to the Galapagos, sharks do not come as close as you would like so a semifisheye for me is a waste.

     

    I used an Inon UWL-H100 that with the RX100 is equivalent to 17-18mm this is ideal on a compact for sharks.

     

    Strobe wise you need two for the same reason above sharks do not come close so you need to illuminate a wide area

     

    If you plan to shoot in ambient light near the surface the Inon lens above can also mount a hood that is useful to prevent ghosting or flare

     

    The UWL-04 on the RX100 performs poorly in ambient light, this is a lens for smaller sensors like a 1/1.7" as the XZ-2 (though it will vignette with this camera due to the shape of the Olympus recessed port)

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.