Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Best, inexpensive set up for snorkeling with whalesharks?

Started by holloways ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Best, inexpensive set up for snorkeling with whalesharks?

4 posts
  1. I'm looking for an inexpensive, compact sized, camera or camera/housing combo, SPECIFICALLY for shooting whilst snorkeling with whale sharks, dolphins on an upcoming liveaboard trip to Mexico.

     

    I already have a UW M4/3 set up with 2 strobes, nauticam housing, including a 7-14 lens and dome port - BUT I want a small, cheapie device for 2 days of snorkeling.

    I don't really want to lug my M4/3 set up around for 2 days of snorkeling. Any suggestions?

     

    REQUIREMENTS: Lightweight, small, wide angle, waterproof, inexpensive ($200 USD +/-)

    NICE TO HAVEs (but not requirements): RAW, 130 foot +, built in flash, video

     

    Maybe the best idea is to use my M4/3 set up and buying a new little camera is not advisable/necessary.

     

    Ideas and opinions welcomed.

     

    Thanks so much!!!

  2. I'd take the 4/3 setup and the housing and leave the strobes at home. Use the WA setup and have a ball. I don't think I'd be happy with less if I knew I had the gear and just didn't use it.

     

    Cheers,

    Steve

  3. Nothing that can fit a whaleshark in would be cheap. Even a 24mm waterproof camera has a tiny field of view behind a flat port

    If you were only doing video you could get a 2nd hand hero2 but even that would be poor if you have a Panasonic with superior video or a Sony

     

    So take your 7-14mm that's pretty spot on and put your camera on a tray without strobes as Steve suggests

  4. I would agree totally with the other comments, results with something smaller and cheap are just going to make you wish you had taken your camera. You are not going to get a wide enough lens using a compact either.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.