Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

which macro lens for a d7100 in an aquatica housing

Started by huberei ·

  • 11Posts
  • 11Replies

Read-only discussion

which macro lens for a d7100 in an aquatica housing

11 posts
  1. hi folks

     

    i'm looking forward to get an aquatica housing for my d7100.

     

    can you tell me, which macro lens is the best for this camera/housing'

     

    sigma 105 external focusing

    nikon 105 internalfocusing

     

    or is it better to get something smaller like an nikon 60mm f2.5?

     

     

    thx for your advices

    Edited by huberei
  2. I have the Nikon 105VR and 60mm 2.8D .... which I dive with depends on what I want to shoot.

     

    I would definitely get the Nikon over the Sigma....just my preference.

  3. Hi

    both lens are excellent the Sigma is a little cheaper if you are on a tighter budget.

    i also have the 60mm nikon but I use my 105mm a lot more than my 60mm.

    Regards,

    Andy. :uwphotog::uwphotog:

  4. Hello Huberei,

     

    I have the Nikon d 7000 and my first lens was a Nikon 85mm VR !
    This is a good option too !!
    Minimum distance between the subject and the lens is reduce compare to the 105, give you more flexibility, add a subsee +10 or any othe kind of diopter and you already have something nice to practice on macro !!

    And it feet in the same port than the tamron 60mm (i now bought a tamron 60mm) and both enter in the same port !
    That is also an option ! ;)

    But in my opinion... if you start... better to get a 60mm or a 85mm than the 105mm (as a first lens)... Will be easyier for you to get use too !!

    Cheers,
    Good luck for your choice !!

  5. thx for your advices!

     

    how about the focusing?

    isn't it a problem if the lens is focusing external?

  6. As other have stated it depends on where and what your shooting, but for a first macro lens the 60mm to me is the best starting point. There are two Nikkor 60mm the older AFD and the newer AFS. I prefer the older AFD version because 1. its cheaper and 2. you can add a Teleconverter like the Kenko pro 300 1.4x. The downside is that the AFD is a fraction of a second slower to focus compared to the AFS but the AFS does not work with the Kenko TC in AF.

     

    Adding the Kenko 1.4x TC to the Nikkor 60mm AFD turns it into a 85mm with a 1.4x image size which makes it a very versatile combo and is my favourite macro setup. To the point which I sold my 105mm due to lack of use. The Kenko 1.4x TC is also reasonably cheap around the $160 and you can also use it on other lenses like with the Tokina 10-17mm for CFWA.

     

    I would start off with the 60mm and Kenko first and master that before going for something like the 105mm. But when you do look at a longer lens also have a look at the Tokina 100mm Macro as it gets excellent reviews and its a fraction of the price of the Nikkor 105mm.

     

    Hope this helps,

     

    Regards Mark

  7. thx, but the tokina seems to have quite a lenght when focus is at the max.

     

    can i just get some some extension rings and add them to the flatport of a housing?

    does this work like i imagine?

  8. thx, but the tokina seems to have quite a lenght when focus is at the max.

     

    can i just get some some extension rings and add them to the flatport of a housing?

    does this work like i imagine?

     

    Yes the Tokina 100mm has a much longer barrel length when fully extended, which is similar to the older Nikon 105mm AFD which I use to have. When I had the Nikon 105mm AFD I just added extra extension ring to the AF Macro port. I havnt heard much about people using the Tokina 100mm underwater and I do not have one myself but I think it might be something to look into as it gets great reviews and is priced a fraction of what the Nikon 105mm VR lens is. You would come close in buying the Nikon 60mm AFD and the Kenko 1.4x TC and the Tokina 100mm for the same price as a brand new Nikon 105mm VR..........

     

    Regards Mark

  9. It all depends on what you want to shoot.

    The 105:s are good if you want to get into super macro.

    The 60 is more versatile, but not good for supermacros.

     

    If the object is a wee bit larger then you have to back of a lot, when using a 105mm.

    That will lead to too much water in between camera and object.

     

    /Erik

    Edited by E_viking
  10. i think i try the new sigma 105.

    seems to be a great macrolens and i get 99years service guarantee here in switzerland... :-)

     

    thx for your help

Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.