Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Apple's Aperture is being sunsetted

Started by johnspierce ·

  • 15Posts
  • 15Replies

Read-only discussion

Apple's Aperture is being sunsetted

15 posts
  1. http://gizmodo.com/apple-is-killing-aperture-its-once-great-photo-editng-1597040812

     

    Not surprised; they just haven't kept up with the changes like Lightroom. The downside of this announcement is Apple will be trying to convince it's user base to use iPhoto instead.

     

    iPhoto is simply *TERRIBLE* Maybe the upcoming replacement will be better. I know many people who have lost images due to the design philosophy of storing everything in a database. Using a proprietary database for metadata is fine, but in my opinion a software application simply must keep an original, unmodified version of all photos in the file system for easy migration and backup/recovery.

     

    Last trip I was on, a fellow diver lost his entire photo library due to a iPhoto corruption issue. He had backups thankfully, but trying to restore to iPhoto would try the patience of the most dedicated Applephile.

     

    But, at any rate, I tried out Aperture in it's first iterations and decided I liked Lightroom better anyway. R.I.P. Aperture.

  2. Oh no. I'm still on Aperture. Maybe among the few who like it. I realize I can keep using it for a while, but eventually support for new cameras and RAW and a new iOS will kill it. So time to research the migration options.

     

    I'm not moving to iPhoto thats for sure. But it would be unbearable to lose thousands of hours of edits that haven't been exported to JPEG if i can only move the RAW files. I am also not moving to anything cloud based (call me a luddite if you will) as I spend about 40% of the year disconnected from the internet in remote locations. Anyone know where to start?

  3. Saw that Apple is working with Adobe to provide an transition path to Lightroom. You can get the complete version without having to work off the cloud.

     

    Cheers,

    Steve

  4. I sure hope so. The migration descriptions that I've read so far all say there is no way to save adjustments (edits) other than exporting files as JPGs one by one, which is neither feasible nor desirable

  5. Oh no! This is my first post and this is not good news. It took forever to figure out how to best use Aperture and I'm still in the learning phase. I just hope that this thread keeps going so others, more learned than I can share. and make suggestions.

  6. Has anyone heard any updates on migration paths?

  7. Have you read this article? It seems to be one of the latest to be updated. I'm not an Apple expert so can't vouch for the content.

     

    Good Luck,

    Steve

  8. Thank you Steve, still on the fence about moving as I was/am/will be hoping there will be some software help to save the adjustments but at this point it doesn't look to promising.

  9. Excellent Gudge, that is exactly what I am hoping for!

  10. Hi folks,

     

    I haven't been on for a while and have been running around this spring and summer. Migrating my old Aperture files to Lightroom has been on my list for a couple months now. Anyone done it yet? Any updates appreciated before I ake the plunge!

     

    Phil

  11. I'm on Aperature to the end.

     

    I thought I read where Aperature and iPhoto would go and Photos would replace them and be upgraded

  12. I see the migration information but I don't see a video on that page Chris. :scratch::scratch:

Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.