Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Dyron or Inon for Wide Angle lens ??

Started by margaret104 ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Dyron or Inon for Wide Angle lens ??

6 posts
  1. Hi all,

    I have a Canon G16 with Nauticam housing and a flip diopter which is a nice solution to the time wasting problem of screwing and unscrewing a lens.

     

    I'd like to buy a wide angle, and have 2 options ... the Dyron WA for G-series (at $500)

    or

    Inon S100ZM80 (which requires an adapter) (around $370) and potentially the Dome Unit (around $200)

     

    I'm told the Dyron provides 130deg FOV (but 100deg FOV with the G series camera) and the Inon around 100deg FOV (without the dome unit)

     

    So I'm trying to work out which to buy but have no clarity on either solution.

    It seems to me that the Inon with the additional dome unit might give me the best FOV, and it is a known brand, but ... ?

     

    Any help would be greatly appreciated !!

     

    Thanks :)

    Marg

     

  2. Nauticam recommends the Inon lens. This is generally better quality than any other and you are guaranteed compatibilty

     

    The Dyron lens you mention is only two elements I would not bother with that one

  3. I spoke with people at ReefPhotos, the Inon lens has soft corner issue, but it's the only lens that work with the Canon G series. You can see the photo corners are soft:

     

    http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/canon-corner/449675-g15-w-inon-uwl-s100-zm80-dome-lens-unit-ii.html

     

    I know it sound unconventional, I use this lens for wide angle for my Panasonic LX-7:

     

    http://opteka.com/OPT4XPF.aspx

     

    On land, it is 140 degree, so once it's in the water, it should be about 100 degree. Here are the sample of pictures taken with the Opeteka lens: http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=53027

     

    The turtle is within arm length that I can touch the turtle. The corner to could be soft too, but hey, it's a $160 lens! (I bought it for $100).

  4. thanks for your help !! I will "just do it" and buy the Inon :)

  5. I would still be very interested if anyone has experience with the dyron super wide angle lens with a g15 or g16. Bluewater photo touts it as a 'G series wide angle lens' and has some pics of it used with a g16: (for reference)

    http://www.bluewaterphotostore.com/dyron-wide-angle-lens-gseries

     

    I seem to remember that a lot of previous discussions about wide angle for the g15 - g16 eventually narrowing in on the zm80 being the most compatible, but likely to only be ideal for close focus wide angle, due to limitations on the light availability to the small barrelled lens and needing to shoot at f8. Ie. It's not gonna shoot reefs, wrecks using ambient light well.

     

    Would this still be a likely issue with the dyron? Also, is having only 2 elements really a major deal breaker? I thought dyron lenses were generally pretty well regarded, as per the quality.

  6. I would still be very interested if anyone has experience with the dyron super wide angle lens with a g15 or g16. Bluewater photo touts it as a 'G series wide angle lens' and has some pics of it used with a g16: (for reference)

    http://www.bluewaterphotostore.com/dyron-wide-angle-lens-gseries

     

    I seem to remember that a lot of previous discussions about wide angle for the g15 - g16 eventually narrowing in on the zm80 being the most compatible, but likely to only be ideal for close focus wide angle, due to limitations on the light availability to the small barrelled lens and needing to shoot at f8. Ie. It's not gonna shoot reefs, wrecks using ambient light well.

     

    Would this still be a likely issue with the dyron? Also, is having only 2 elements really a major deal breaker? I thought dyron lenses were generally pretty well regarded, as per the quality.

     

    Considering that with the G series the field of view is only 100 degrees (as per bluewater photostore) I would not bother

     

    And yes two elements lens means chromatic aberrations there is also a note on bluewater about flare problems... mmm

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.