Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Strobe problems. Please help!

Started by cwise ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Strobe problems. Please help!

6 posts
  1. Hi everyone,

     

    I have a Nikon D200 in a Sea & Sea housing with two YS90 DX strobes. The strobes are attached by a double sync cord which attaches to the camera hot shoe inside the housing.

     

    I have my Camera flash settings on manual. With the pop up flash down. Strobes are set to on and the slave is off.

     

    My strobes are firing intermitently. The sync cord is new and the wiring looks good.

     

    Should I use a different camera setting? There are so many. Should I raise the pop up flash? Or lower the power of the flash?

     

    I'm on an island with no other photographers to ask.

     

    Please help. I'm at my wits end!

     

     

     

     

  2. Sorry to hear you're having problems. It's hard to guess but a couple things to check; Make sure the hot shoe connection is solid. I put a piece of foam behind the connector to make sure it stays in place. A rubber band can do the job too. On my Canon Sea & Sea housing I've had issues in the past with the sync cord connector not seating all the way down which can result in intermittent firings. I'm sure you've checked it but another try couldn't hurt.

     

    Intermittent issues are the toughest to find but it's most likely an electrical connection. I doubt if it's a camera or strobe setting or it wouldn't work at all. You are giving it time to recycle right?

     

    Good luck,

    Steve

    Edited by Steve Williams
  3. Good advice Steve.

     

    One other thing to check is that the end of the cable and the socket into which it plugs are dry.

     

    Adam

  4. In manual, don't you need your flash up, so the strobe can detect it and work from it?

  5. In manual, don't you need your flash up, so the strobe can detect it and work from it?

    No not with electrical sync cords connected to the hot shoe
  6. Thank you everyone. I will try everything you suggested and let you know how it goes.

     

    I do wait for my strobes to recycle. But do I need to wait for the camera flash to recycle too? even though the pop up flash is down? Should I lower the power on the camera flash?

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.