Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Removing Subal viewfinder

Started by TimG ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Removing Subal viewfinder

6 posts
  1. Hey Folks

     

    Grateful for some advice.

     

    I'd like to remove my Subal 45-degree viewfinder to try and reduce the volume of the housing for travel. I've read it is straightforward to remove; and I have the Subal tool for doing this.

     

    I assumed it was just a question of inserting the two prongs of the removal key into the two holes in the back of ring around the viewfinder (so inside the housing back plate) and turning the removal tool anti-clockwise. Either I am missing something or my daily trips to the gym are a waste of time, but I can't move what I assume is the locking ring. Maybe it was initially installed and tightened by Superman - or maybe pressure has tightened it. But I can't shift it. And before I am tempted to try even harder to turn it, I thought I'd just check!

     

    So, to you guys who regularly remove your Subal viewfinders, is there any kind of trick - or should the locking ring "simply" unscrew anti-clockwise?

     

    Thanks!

     

     

     

     

  2. Hey Tim

    It simply unscrews as you mentioned. From the inside you would need to turn it counterclockwise. I just created a adapter for one so my experience is recent.

  3. Thanks Bill

     

    Hmm, I thought as much but thought it wise to check. Damn, its tight!

  4. Got it!

     

    Clearly eating croissant for breakfast is no substitute for a couple of Wheatabix when it comes to unscrewing viewfinders :mocking:

  5. Tim:

     

    Be careful of the o ring grooves on the view finder. On both of ours, the cornors are quite sharp.

    I remove both of ours on every trip and pad then and pack inside the housing body.

  6. Thanks, okuma. Sounds very good advice.

Fotosub Shop

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.