I've been shooting with a nikonos v for about 6 months, all in shallow water and I love the camera, but I just ran into an issue with the shutter release. Now whenever I hit the shutter button it will go down but has to be pushed back up from the bottom with a toothpick or something. I feel like they're must be some kind of way to fix it so I can start shooting with it again. If any of you guys have any experience with issues like this and could give me some insight it would be greatly appreciated.
- 11Posts
- 11Replies
Read-only discussion
Nikonos V help
-
-
It needs to be serviced.
A sticking shutter button is very common with Nik V that have not been serviced for a period.
Without service, it will eventually leak.
-
Thats what i had figured, I'm trying to find somewhere to service it locally but if that doesn't work out is there any online places that have good reputations? I'm gonna call around tomorrow and see if I can find somebody who could do it.
-
Henry, did you find anyone to service the nikonos ? I have one also but cant find anyone to do it online or elsewhere...
-
Thats what i had figured, I'm trying to find somewhere to service it locally but if that doesn't work out is there any online places that have good reputations? I'm gonna call around tomorrow and see if I can find somebody who could do it.
Hello Henry,
I think you could get a good second hand Nikonos (or two) for less money than it would cost to have yours serviced. You might even want to take a crack at servicing it yourself. I had a similar problem in the mid 80s, so I very carefully took it apart, cleaned and lubed the o rings and reassembled the thing. It worked just fine. Unfortunately, I was less careful the second time I tried to do that and was unable to get it back together - I still have a bag full of Nikonos parts.
You can check for air tightness after servicing by heating the camera with a hair dryer before closing the back. Then, after it has cooled for a while, try to remove the lens . If you can feel some suction on the lens then your seals are good.
Below is a link to a Nikonos 5 service manual to help guide you if you want to give it a go.
http://www.aberdeenwatersports.com/FileLibrary/Knowledge/Regulators/nikonosVservicemanual.pdf
John McCracken
-
I used to use Southern Nikonos in Texas. They still show up on the web but I don't have any recent experience. I remeber them being extremely knowledgable and fast but that has been a while.
Southern Nikonos
3119 Lazy Spring Dr.
Houston, Texas 77080
(713) 462-5436Good luck,
Steve
-
Try this guy:
Devon Tompkins
Pacific Housing Repair
pacifichousingrepair.com
-
-
My local Nikon service centre quoted me $150 for servicing the Nikonos V. It's only slightly less than this camera can be purchased for on eBay, but when you buy it used, you really have no idea how well it was treated over the years and if those O-rings were ever greased.
-
Just bought a new serviced Nikonos V from Bob at Southern Nikonos.
Previous response was correct. Email ...nikonosrepair@aol.com
Good to have all these responses since knowledgeable service for
these is a premium.
-
I use tu use the guy in Texas. Good to hear he is still around. Where do they sell and develope film?