Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

What extension port needed for Nauti 4.33" dome to use w/ 9-18 lens?

Started by michaeltsantos ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

What extension port needed for Nauti 4.33" dome to use w/ 9-18 lens?

5 posts
  1. Hi Guys!

     

     

    I'm thinking of getting the Nauticam housing for the Oly EM-10. I already have the Oly 9-18mm wide angle lens and I'm thinking of getting the Samyang/Rokinon 7.5mm fisheye lens.

     

    Based on experience, can anybody comment on the following?:

     

    - What extension port should I use with the 9-18mm lens so it will fit with the 4.33" dome?

    - Since the front of the lens moves as you zoom, are the corners sharp at both 9mm and 18mm with this set-up?

    - Would putting a +2 or +4 diopter on the 9-18mm lens help with corner sharpness?

     

    - Externally, the dimensions of the Samyang/Rokinon 7.5mm fisheye lens is similar to the Panasonic 8mm fisheye. How is the performance of this lens with the Nauti 4.33" dome? Are the corners sharp?

    - I don't think manual focus will be an issue with such a wide lens (I'm thinking of just setting focus to about 5 inches in front of the dome before the dive). I'm I correct to assume this? Would it be better if I had a zoom gear with this lens?

     

    - Will the new "pancake" Oly 14-42mm EZ zoom lens work well with the 4.33" dome?

    - Again, would putting a +2 or +4 diopter on this lens help with corner sharpness?

     

    - Any other port recommendations? Since my budget is tight, I don't want to buy 2 domes (The 4" for the 9-18mm and 4.33" for the 7.5mm as recommended). I already buying the 60mm macro port as well.

     

    Thanks!

     

     

    Mike

  2. I also have the em10 with the 14-42ez lens. I currently dive with this on using the macro 35 port and a third party zoom gear as nauticam havent produced one yet (www.deepshots.co.uk). I also have the 9-18 lens but havent acquired the port/zoom gear yet, so will be interested in the replies from the more knowledgable members as the fisheye is a lens i will also consider and if i can get a port which would allow both so much the better. If you go for the macro 35 you can just get away with the 30mm extentsion and zoom gear for the macro which is my plan!

  3. I am also new to the system but as far as I understood the 4.33 inch does not work for the 9-18. I guess its not so much the distance but also the radius of the dome so I doubt extensiens will work.

    One goy told me there is a INON Dome which could be used with extensions and would work with 8/9-18/12-40 but I have my doubts if this is true.

    So I guess you need a separate dome for the 9-18 - for example the 4 inch Nauticam. I decided for the ZEN 170 which is higher price but also works for the 12-40mm lens (which I already owned).

  4. Ive looked at the ZEN domes. Lovely pieces of glass. Unfortunately well outside my price point!

  5. Hi Guys!

     

     

    Thanks for the comments. Still undecided for now but I'm trying to get official feedback from Nauticam.

     

    I'll update this topic in case I get a reply.

     

    Thanks!

     

     

    Mike

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.