Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Case for gear

Started by Arnie ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Case for gear

6 posts
  1. Hi all.

     

    Looking to buy a hard shell case for my rig. What brand are you using and more important what size?

    Thanx

  2. I use many different sizes of Pelican cases depending on what kind of shoot or trip I am doing. They are nearly indestructible, but they are also heavy.

  3. Like DiverDoug1, I have a few different cases depending up what I am carrying and where I am going.

     

    Some questions to think about:

     

    1.) Are you traveling to places where it is more difficult to get the gear to? (Carry-on airplanes, puddle jumpers in there, etc.)

    2.) Do you dive locally often so you can just load up gear in a car?

    3.) Do you carry more or less equipment (or different size equipment) based on where you are going?

     

     

    Some of the questions overlap. But I use a variety of Pelicans, Porter, Bags (ThinkTank and LowePro usually) and other items. With a 4/3 system and some small strobes or lights the items I grab will be different compared to a full dSLR rig. Sometimes, especially if going to places I have been to fairly often before and will get to again, it is nice just to use a small portable setup.

     

    That all being said, I often use a Pelican 1510 because it works for carry-on in most places I go to, coupled with a laptop bag.

  4. Thanx guys. That is my problem. Over here (Dubai) did not find dealer for Pelican case so far and shipping from somewhere is go na be quite expensive. However you saying is the best get 2 or 3 different sizes and pack for a trip

    It actualy make a sense. I will have a look in all she's again. One more time Thank you.

  5. Hi Arnie,

     

    I have a couple of Pelicases also but like DiverDoug says they are heavy and airlines are tightening up on allowances. The other thing is that a Pelicase advertises that there is delicate (i.e. expensive) equipment inside.

     

    A couple of years ago I started using Samsonite rigid suitcases, preferably in lurid colours that scream "bad taste" rather than "expensive camera equipment". You can normally get the loud colours cheaper in a clearance sale and nobody is going to take it off the baggage carousel by mistake. I started off buying upholstery foam and cutting it to the shape of the case and equipment but it's not very flexible if you change the equipment you take on a trip so I ended up buying a set of Pelicase inserts that were nearly the same size as the Samsonite case and use those.

     

    The Samsonite cases are lighter than the Pelicase and are adequate for normal air transportation. They are not submersible but they are waterproof as they have a rubber gasket where the lid closes. I don't transport camera bodies or lenses in them but I don't do that with my Pelicases either. I have been transporting my gear this way for about 10 years to the Middle East, Caribbean and as far as Truk without any problems or incidents.

     

    I would love to claim credit for the idea but it actually came from Eric Cheng in a post a few years ago.

  6. Hi

    Im in the suit case brigade I normally use two medium size hard cases mixed with dive gear & housing etc. I carry on my dome port & camera & lens with

    a photographers jacket which are very useful, if you are slightly overweight with your hand luggage.

    Regards,

    Andy.

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.