Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

What kind of budget should I expect?

Started by Bakeapple ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

What kind of budget should I expect?

7 posts
  1. I enjoy photography as a hobby and mainly use it in as a way to document my travels with varying degrees of artistic efforts. A little less than a year ago I tried scuba diving and it was love at first sight. Naturally, I have a great desire to bring photography into the mix.

     

    The problem is that I live near the cold and boring Great Lakes and only venture out to warm seas once or twice a year. While I have spent more than I'd like to admit on my photo gear so far, it's hard to justify the steep costs of underwater gear when I can only use it a couple of weeks a year. I have a Nikon D7000, and it looks like the Ikelite housing for it goes for about $1500. Plus it's huge. Another camera I have is a Fuji X100s, but there is no housing for it as far as I know.

     

    Then there are the strobes. I've actually inherited a Nikonos SB-105 from a friend, and I think I could use it with digital cameras, but with limited functionality, and the better modern ones seem to be well over $500.

     

    What kind of money can I realistically expect to spend on gear that will produce photos on the same quality level as my X100s/D7000? I have a suspicion that after all is said and done (housings, strobes, shipping, taxes) I will probably have spent close to $5K. At that point, I think I'll just throw a red filter on my GoPro and be content with that.

     

    What other inexpensive options do I have? Under $1K for a kit that's basic, but covers all the ... basics.

  2. Even $5K is on the low end for housing a DSLR system. Besides the camera and housing, you need lenses (for best results, not the same ones being used above water) and ports for them. Plus, there's at least one strobe (two is better if you can swing it), possibly a focus light and all the hardware (arms, clamps) to mount them. It adds up really quickly.

     

    One option you may want to consider is finding a used setup that's a generation or two behind the latest and greatest. People often sell them in the classifieds around here at substantial discount. Under $1K is going to pretty difficult though for anything with interchangeable lenses unless it's very out of date.

     

    It's hard to beat a GoPro in bang-for-the-buck, although they're really best at video as opposed to stills. A nice point and shoot (RX100, S120, etc.) with a basic strobe (including cords, arms and clamps) in an Ikelite housing can be had for a bit less than $1K without the camera. These kinds of setups can work pretty well for macro, although for wide angle they don't shine quite as well in my opinion.

  3. Look on this site for a used Nikon 300 package.

    This camera will more than handle your beginning skills for a few years.

  4. This year has been my first year with a 'proper' rig - perviously I've only had P&S type cameras and GoPros...

    If I'm honest, with lights, camera, all the bits its well past $12,000 - and yes it takes wonderful photos and videos...

    But would a decent P&S (thinking Sony RX100 or Panasonic type cameras) I would still be happy with the results? Yes I think so.

    Luckily I live by the ocean, so can get lots of use of my kit, but if I was doing only a couple of trips a year - I would stick with what DecidedlyOdd said and get something in the $2k bracket with camera, single strobe and housing.

  5. That confirms my fears :( I might just borrow an old Nikonos from a friend, and see what happens. The multi thousand dollar set ups would bite into my snowboarding fund (hey, at least we have snowy winters here ;)).

     

    If Damselfish says compacts tend to do better in macro and not as well in wide angle - that is a bit disappointing, as macro is what I'm interested the least. The Nikonos has a 15mm lens so that should be nice and wide. Just wish I didn't have to deal with processing film.

  6. I'm in the same situation as you, that I'm living in the middle of the US, I only dive 2 weeks out of the year when I take vacation. So if you talk about cost per use, a dSLR system is not the right move. Luckily I have plan to move closer to the ocean.

     

    Anyway, back to your situation, a point and shoot system is more suitable, but it should be a prosumer level point and shoot. Something like a RX100 series or may be the new Panasonic LX-8 (anything with a 1" sensor) should fit the bill. The camera should be around US$700, with a $1000 Nauticam housing that would set you back less than $2K after getting trays, wet lens. As for strobe, it's a one time investment, so just get something like a Sea & Sea YS-D1 or Inon Z240, which will set you back $700 ($600 when on sales). The strobe doesn't get outdated, so you can grow with it. Start out with just one strobe.

     

    With the set up I mentioned, $3000 is more than enough. I'm in the process of pricing my option for a Panasonic GH4, that set up cost well around $5000 not including strobe, which I already have.

     

    Take a look at these gallery: http://www.flickr.com/photos/scipio2010/sets/

    I didn't take them, but it's taken by a diver that uses the Panasonic LX-7, by far one of the best scuba picture I have seen from using a point & shoot system. So, it's not really what camera you use, but the people behind the camera is more important.

  7. I'm in the same situation as you, that I'm living in the middle of the US, I only dive 2 weeks out of the year when I take vacation. So if you talk about cost per use, a dSLR system is not the right move. Luckily I have plan to move closer to the ocean.

     

    Anyway, back to your situation, a point and shoot system is more suitable, but it should be a prosumer level point and shoot. Something like a RX100 series or may be the new Panasonic LX-8 (anything with a 1" sensor) should fit the bill. The camera should be around US$700, with a $1000 Nauticam housing that would set you back less than $2K after getting trays, wet lens. As for strobe, it's a one time investment, so just get something like a Sea & Sea YS-D1 or Inon Z240, which will set you back $700 ($600 when on sales). The strobe doesn't get outdated, so you can grow with it. Start out with just one strobe.

     

    With the set up I mentioned, $3000 is more than enough. I'm in the process of pricing my option for a Panasonic GH4, that set up cost well around $5000 not including strobe, which I already have.

     

    Take a look at these gallery: http://www.flickr.com/photos/scipio2010/sets/

    I didn't take them, but it's taken by a diver that uses the Panasonic LX-7, by far one of the best scuba picture I have seen from using a point & shoot system. So, it's not really what camera you use, but the people behind the camera is more important.

     

    $3000 may be enough, but it's way more than what I'm willing to plunk on it at this point. And I certainly agree with your last point, which makes it even harder to justify spending tons of money :)

     

    For now, I'll focus on reading tips and looking over all the beautiful photos with the sole purpose of stealing ideas for my upcoming trip ;) GoPro and a rusty Nikonos will have to do.

    Edited by Bakeapple

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.