A friend sent me the attached image with the following comments. I think it is genuine. I'd love to know what lens was used!
EVER SEE AN ICEBERG FROM TOP TO BOTTOM? This is awesome! This came from a Rig Manager for Global Marine Drilling in St. Johns, Newfoundland. They actually have to divert the path of these things away from the rig by towing them with ships!
Anyway, in this particular case the water was calm & the sun was almost directly overhead so that the diver was able to get into the water and click this pic. Clear water huh? They estimated the weight at 300,000,000 tons. And now we also know why they say one picture is worth a 1000 words ... Now we also know why the Titanic sank!!!
It is not genuine, but a fake that's been traveling around for a while.
Bummer! I thought it was too good to be true.
Yeah, I do 3D work as a hobby....it looks very fake to my eyes. Could've been done easily enough with terragen.
Its a great image. But both the lack of a water line at the surface and the upward lighting of the underwater parts of the berg look decidedly dodgy to me!
the upward lighting of the underwater parts of the berg look decidedly dodgy to me!
Come on, that would be easy to do, just steal a couple of thouse giant airport strobes and mount it on 2000ft arms.
Here's a link with a note from the guy who created the image.