Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Anamorphic Lens

Started by derekcs ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Anamorphic Lens

4 posts
  1. I've been watching some old widescreen films, and it kinda inspired me to experiment with anamorphic lenses. I've been trying to think through some of the issues and so far I see:

    • Finding an anamorphic lens to fit a DSLR. This one has been recommended to me.
    • Fitting the lens in a port compatible with the housing.
    • Manual focus and the minimal focusing distance.
    • Lighting. How much of the frame can be filled with strobe light given the distance?
    • Post-processing actually seems kinda straightforward for stills.

    Anybody have any experience at all with any of this?

  2. I think it is going to be very tricky. On land you typically focus your prime lens then add the anamorphic, then refocus. That might be very tough underwater, but the idea is way cool. There are adapters that can be added to some lenses (vidatlantic) for about $50 or so, you might try that first. And there is an anamorphic lens for the Gopro

    Bill

  3. Cool Project. I think you need to work with the dome port. You need to align it to the lens nodal point like with other lenses, but the lens is much wider in the horizontal than the vertical, so the dome must cater for that. I assume you should try to handle the widest as well as possible

  4. No experience underwater. The SLR Magic anamorphic lens is nice.

    What camera body will you use?

    On full frame you will need a minimum of 40mm lens.

    Seems to be an exciting project.

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.