Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

2nd try: overexposure problem w TTL (Olympus E-M1)

Started by msilver2 ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

2nd try: overexposure problem w TTL (Olympus E-M1)

6 posts
  1. I posted this question yesterday, but the photos didn't come thru. Here's a second try.

     

    On my first dive trip with the Olympus E-M1 and the Nauticam housing, I had a problem using TTL. I think it showed up the most with medium distances using the 60mm macro lens. I was using two YS-01 strobes.

     

    I have some examples of the problem. All of these are shot with the mode dial on manual. The metering was center-weighted.

     

    Here’s a pair of flamingo tongues that were overexposed when shot at 1/320th and f6.3.

     

    8v1gFhz.jpg

     

    My reaction was to drastically change the f stop, so exposure on the next shot was OK 1/320th at f 14.0:

     

    0YLz5pA.jpg

     

    Same dive, here’s a toadfish overexposed when shot at 1/320th and f 8.0:

     

    tzsmQdn.jpg

     

    Again, I stopped the camera down, and the next shot was OK at 1/320th and f 14.0:

     

    DoTl4qP.jpg

     

    Here’s a shot that had OK exposure at 1/160th at f 6.3:

     

    PQIVz4i.jpg

     

    But then the very next shot (different subject), is way over-exposed when also shot at 1/160th at f 6.3:

     

    9Qpd1YN.jpg

     

    The same scene is better exposed after drastic changes to the shutter speed and aperture, this time 1/320th at f13.0:

     

    VGnh5Bk.jpg

     

    Any ideas what I was doing wrong? Could I have had the flash setting on “full” rather than “fill”? Would that explain this?

     

     

     

     

  2. What make/model strobes are you using? If they are Inon this will help explain the correct settings:

     

    http://reefphoto.com/kb.php?id=7

     

    In short for your camera and Inon Z240 strobe(s):

     

    Camera flash set to fill.

    Left hand dial on strobe set to sTTL

    Right hand dial on strobe set so it is putting up to B

    ACC switch enabled (out)

  3. it's two YS-01 strobes.

  4. Have you tried manual flash instead?


    Or tried s-TTL low?

  5. it's two YS-01 strobes.

    In that case:

     

    Camera flash set to Fill

    Set the strobe mode switch to [TTL]

    Set the strobe light level control dial to [FULL]

     

    Should do the trick.

  6. There has been some trouble with the EM-1 and getting S&S strobes to work well in STTL. In my hands, I can get it to work for a shot or two then not work. Trying to figure it out without a lot of luck. That being said, something is wrong with the OP photos.

     

    Bill

    Edited by bvanant
Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.