Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

microdrive and battery consumption

Started by Kasey ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

microdrive and battery consumption

6 posts
  1. I shoot an E-20 in the Titan housing. I've been considering purchase of a microdrive, but in the E-20 manual it states that you can only use the microdrive with the large external battery pack that would not fit in the housing. Is this a recommendation, or will the microdrive not operate using my E-20 with 1800ma NiMH batteries. To those of you that are using the microdrive in this or other cameras, how much battery time do you get compared to using just a CF card?

     

    Kasey

  2. I'm pretty sure I posted this here before, but I did a test with my E20 and Microdrive. Used a fresh set of 1600mHa batteries.

     

    Shooting raw mode, I filled the Microdrive (105 shots), about half of them w/LCD on. I then reviewed the shots twice and deleted half of them before the batteries died.

     

    If you're like me, and change batteries after every dive, it should not be a problem.

     

    Richard

  3. That seems like more battery time than I get with my CF. I use auto review, so the LCD is on for only a short time, and I even set the camera to sleep in 1 min, so it sleeps between subjects. I'm luucky if I get 70min dive time out of the system.

  4. I have a 1Gb microdrive + E-20 and spend a full day taking 50-60 pics (on land), review them, delete etc without changing batteries. I was anxious like you but never had a problem with battery.

  5. A little OT, but I don't shoot with anything except Lexar CF - especially above water where speed matters.

  6. I get at least 300 shots with a single battery. Having said that, there's really no reason to risk having the battery die on a dive. Pop in a new one before you go out. :)

Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.