Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic
Sony E 16mm F2.8, ECF1 Fisheye - reflections from Dome Port
Started by tdphoto ·
- 3Posts
- 3Replies
Read-only discussion
Sony E 16mm F2.8, ECF1 Fisheye - reflections from Dome Port
-
Hi,I use the Sony E 16mm F2.8, with the ECF1 Fisheye currently on my Sony NEX-5N Setup in Nauticam housing and the 4.33" Dome Port. I would love to know whether the Sony SEL 10-18mm F4 OSS E with the 7" Dome Port has also problems with these reflections?Has anyone here the Sony 10-18mm in use and can say something about it?Thanks from Switzerland and sorry for my bad english,Tino
-
I have the 10-18mm and used it for the first time a month ago in the Caribbean. Previously I used the 16mm with adaptors wideangle and fisheye. I have to say the 10-18mm is much better than I expected.
It produces sharp images across the frame with fantastic contrast, whereas the 16mm with WA and FE were soft on the edges with noticeable CA.
The 10 -18mm was connected to a NEX-6 behind a nauticam 7" dome. I also didn't notice any reflections whilst using it...
(It will be for sale soon as I'm rethinking my whole photography setup)
-
Almost every camera + housing might have these reflections. It's because the port glass / acrylic is a reflective surface and the camera / lens tend to have reflective rings on them.
If the rings on the lens catch light, you will get those reflections.
It can happen from the pop-up flash or from strong ambient light such as the photo you posted. (assuming it was taken without flash).
The best way to get rid of them, is actually to slightly "violate" your lens and paint over the reflective rings with a black marker. Do it carefully of course as to not harm your actual glass. You can also cut out black stickers to fit precisely if you don't want to stain your lens permanently.