Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Port for Nikon 16-35 on a Subal Housing

Started by RedKane ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Port for Nikon 16-35 on a Subal Housing

8 posts
  1. Hello All,

     

    I have a Subal ND-800 Type 4 and Zen 230mm dome for my Nikon D800e. I have a 33/EXR and 50/EXR for other lenses I use.

     

    I would like to know what port/extension rings I should use for my 16-35 f/5 lens for this setup. Should i use a +2 diopter as well?

     

    Thanks for any help.

     

    Karl

     

     

     

  2. I have the same configuration (although Subal DP-FE9) and using the 90mm focus extension ring and a +2 diopter. you could eventually stack your 50mm and the 33mm, although sub-optimal I think.

  3. Hi Karl

     

    Like Juerg I use a D800 with the 16-35. With this I have used Subal's recommendation of a DP-FE4, 90mm EXR and a +2 diopter.

     

    I've just got back from a week in the southern Red Sea where I used this wide-angle setup for the first time for an extended period. Although I've not yet had chance to go through the images in much detail, at first glance on a big monitor some of the edges look a bit soft. But, as I say, early days yet and I do need to spend more time looking at the RAW files. I'll post some next week.

     

    Sorry, can't help though with the Zen port.

  4. Thanks to you both for replying. I appreciate the info. Will let you know how things work out with the port as I gain experience with it, as well as my Subal, in general.

     

    Karl

  5. Hey Karl

     

    I'm talking to other Wetpixlers in another post but I definitely have "edge softness" issues with the DP-FE4.

     

    The solution seems to lie (probably) with a move to a larger domeport so your Zen 230 sounds good!

     

    Like Juerg though, I do wonder if not using precisely the right EXR length will impact on the quality of the images.

     

    Alex Mustard has uploaded a good presentation he did (I think it's called taking the Doom out of Dome) on to Wetpixel which explains some of the factors involved in domeports. He essentially compares a 4" port against the bigger ones. But I found it helpful in clarifying my thinking and understanding the diopter and EXR length issue.

  6. Hi Tim,

     

    With regard to the port itself, I have read (somewhere on the net) the same thing, i.e, the impact of port length on image quality. It was an interesting article, discussing the impact the distance between the dome and the lens has on image quality. If I can find it again, I will post a link.

     

    I watched the presentation Alex Mustard did with regard to domes and minidomes with great interest. I also found his information on apertures used with WA rectilinear lenses to be interesting as well.

     

    There is always something to learn with regard to UW photography.

     

    Karl

  7. Hi Tim,

     

    With regard to the port itself, I have read (somewhere on the net) the same thing, i.e, the impact of port length on image quality. It was an interesting article, discussing the impact the distance between the dome and the lens has on image quality. If I can find it again, I will post a link.

     

    I watched the presentation Alex Mustard did with regard to domes and minidomes with great interest. I also found his information on apertures used with WA rectilinear lenses to be interesting as well.

     

    There is always something to learn with regard to UW photography.

     

    Karl

     

     

    Ain't that the truth! And just when you think you have it sorted, someone brings along another wheeze....

  8. Try shooting both with and without that +2 diopter. You may find you don't need it.

Fotosub Shop

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.