A good Camera for a Project assignment with Lights/Strobes/Housing/Lenses etc.
Started by diggy ·
5Posts
5Replies
Read-only discussion
A good Camera for a Project assignment with Lights/Strobes/Housing/Lenses etc.
5 posts
Hi Guys,
Need some help.
I have to buy a decent camera that is good for stills for a project assignment. I do have some knowledge on this BUT any help or input would be greatly appreciated. The budget i have been give to get Housing/Arms/Strobes/Tray/Ports etc. is around USD 4500 or thereabouts.
I also have to buy a decent video camera with lights, housing etc. I do have some knowledge on video lights but am not well versed with video camera’s.
The budget i have been given within which to get all this is USD 4500/- or thereabouts. The video camera does not have to be overtly professional as long as it does great HD video’s.
May i request help on this please ?
Thanks in advance ..
Diggy
Hi Diggy,
I'm sorry, I don't understand. Why not use your 7D?
Steve
Sorry Steve,
Should have clarified. This system is for an NGO working on a marine project. They will keep it, buy it AND we will be using it whenever they call us on some of their projects. We have to advise them on what is best suited within the budget and also buy this for them.
Oh and one more thing Steve, it cannot be a used system. Has to be new!!!
Diggy
It sounds like that price point is in line with a system built around a camera like the Olympus EM1 or the PanasonicGH4. Based on what I'm reading here and at sites like Backscatter, they may be the best mirrorless cameras to date. That is assuming you can get the right lens for what you want to shoot. If it's archeology, I'm guessing you'll want a rectalinear lens, etc. If it's going to be used by a group of different people I would want to make sure it has a good vacuum system installed so you have a chance of keeping it dry for a while.
I can't help you with the dedicated video system, does it have to be a seperate system? Without knowing what you're going to be shooting it's hard to guess what system might be the best for your project.
Who is your supplier in India? Do you have a rep for U/W camera gear there or do you go through the UK?
Cheers,
Steve
I would suggest the EM-1 as well and I don't think that you will get two camera systems, ports, lenses, lights and strobes for $4500. Get the EM-1 in a Nauticam or Aquatica system, get the Olympus 9-18 (or the 8 mm fisheye if you can live with post processing defishing). Get a tripod for the video and get the 60 macro for the closeup stuff. Get some L&M lights and you will have a few dollars left for some SD cards.