I'm looking for anyone who has experience with the new Nikon AW-1.
Many sites cal it the "digital Nikonos".
Nikon rates it at 49' depth for the 11-37 Zoom and 69' with the F2.8 10mm.
Those depths are almost all that I need.
Please....anyone. Feedback please!
I've used to Nikon 1 AW1 with the 11-27.5mm zoom on my recent trip to Palau (in addition to my Nikon D800 in a Seacam housing). As long as you have enough light to stay at base ISO 160 the image quality is very good (not far from a DSLR). At higher ISO the difference to the D800 is huge. The only problem I had with the AW1 was that both the lens and the rear display were sometimes fogged, probably due to the very high humidity in Palau (I was camping on one of the islands for two week without any air-condition or any chance to not expose the camera to the high humidity). I had no problems with the seals but never went deeper than 5m (I used the camera only for snorkeling and free diving). At the moment I'm processing my images. When I'm finished I will post the result here on Wetpixel.
Boris
Can't wait. I'm trying g to save some money with this camera, but with the Nikon housing and strobe costing another $750 each...pulse fiber optic cable, etc, not sure what I am saving.
Thanks!
From a friend test... At 15m the camera screen start warping. At 20m... Seems some leaking... And screen going haywire and buttons not working
I had used this with the 10mm lens and an olympus fcon fisheye converter to geiv 130 degrees angle of view while snorkling. Worked great, good image quality, good enough to make it into wyp finals.
wish it could go deeper, perhaps next generation?
Just found out from Nikon, there NONE of their UW housings will fit the AW-1.