Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Macro lens for Raja Ampat liveaboard?

Started by mcliffy2 ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Macro lens for Raja Ampat liveaboard?

8 posts
  1. I'm wondering what lenses to take for my Raja Ampat liveaboard. I have a Canon 100mm 2.8L macro, and a Tokina 10-17 w/ 1.4 teleconverter for CFWA. My biggest question, is whether I should add the Canon 60mm macro to my lens collection for this trip?

     

    Some background -- I shoot a Canon 7D in Aquatica housing with dual S&S 110a strobes. Since switching to a DSLR, I've mostly done big animal photography. I've only done one trip where I actually used my 100mm macro (Sipadan & Philippines), and I had results I was happy with. (This trip was four years ago.) I'm thinking of taking a tripod to try and do some macro video, and wondering if the 60mm will be better for this than the 100mm, or whether the working distance of the 100mm will be better for video.

    Edited by mcliffy2
  2.  

    My recommendation take both with you . I shoot a cropped sensor Nikon camera with the 105mm and 60 mm macro lenses , but your options are very similar.

     

    The 60 is great for things that allows you to get close , especially in places that the vis is not too good ( like muck dive sites ) and 100mm is the choice for subjects that don't allow you to get close like some gobies , pigmy seahorses ,etc. I've been to Raja Ampat twice and i used more often the 60mm than the 105mm but some shoots are impossible without the 105mm

     

    Extra magnification is a must, like the macromate or subsee wet diopters .

     

    I think same concept applies for video .

     

    Happy shooting

     

    JA

  3. I took my 105, 60, and 10-17 to Lembeh...the 10-17 was never used, the 60 was used a couple dives (Mandarinfish dive and a couple others). The 105 was my go-to the rest of the time, with Subsee +10. May as well bring all if you can...

  4. Thanks for the input so far. One factor I didn't quite make clear is that I already own the 100mm macro, so adding the 60mm means buying it and appropriate port extensions. So my question is more whether this is worth it (i.e., if I've never shot with the 60mm will I miss it)?

  5. A 60 mm for macro muck diving is my go to lens on a cropped sensor body. A 105 mm is just to long in water with a lot of particulate matter. Getting closer will give you a cleaner shot with a 60 mm lens.

  6. The 60mm is rock sharp and getting close, you can really eliminate water between you and the subject. In that sense if will give you some very nice shots. It works very well with a macro magnifying lens, and if you have that on a flip holder you can also shoot fish portraits. If you have the Aquatica system, you should have what you need already, as the 100 requires an extension.

     

    Jack

  7. I MUCH prefer the 60mm. With patience you can get close to anything you want and the water and light will be so much better.

  8. At the time I dived raja Ampat I only owned a 100mm, fitted on a 7D..

    I used it only a few times in Raja Ampat, and seldom switched the subsee, only for pygmy seahorses. I was surprized to see lots of cephalopods like wonderpus or blue rings on house reefs or at Gam Passage, which were really too big for my 100mm, I had to stand back awkwardly to get them into the frame.

    While I am using my 100mm 80% of the time during macro dives, raja Ampat is probably the only place in Indonesia where I would rather take a 60mm.

Nauticam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.