Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Hugyfot Mini Dome

Started by Gom ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Hugyfot Mini Dome

5 posts
  1. Hey folks,

     

    I'm planning on getting a Hugyfot housing for my Nikon D7100 and I wonder if any people already use / tested the Hugyfot minodome?

     

    As it is very hard to find some information or sample pictures taken with that precise minidome, I'd like to see if maybe some people here at wetpixel have some experience to share about that port.

     

    I hope someone can give me some piece of advice ;-)

     

    Regards,

    Steve

  2. Steve,

    i have the HugyFot MiniDome on my D800 rig and i love it.

     

    First; keep in mind that the dome works good or not so good together with the lens you use, that is the main problem.

     

    I use the MiniDome only with my Sigma 15 mm and i love this combination as it works well and is easy to travel with and under water it

    create less drag than a big dome.

     

    Main backdraw of a minidome is that you need to close the iris to get rid of soft corners,
    but - at least with the HugyFot MiniDome and the Sigma 15mm at f/stops higher than f/9 the go away.

     

    I suggest you that you try the minidome and the lens you would like to use before you buy the dome to make sure that

    the combination work.

     

    Chris

  3. Hy Chris,

     

    Thank you very much for your feedback. :good:

     

    Indeed, I'm aware of the soft corners using minidomes. That is an issue I guess I will accept if for the rest the dome works good with my Tokina.

     

    I'll try to find out if I can rent the dome for a few dives and see how it plays, and make my decision based on the test results. ;-)

     

    But it's good to hear from people who are actually satisfied with the dome.

     

    Steve

  4. Hi Steve,

    what Tokina would you like to use?
    Domes and Lenses are a combination working together or against each other.
    Zoom lenses are usually more difficult to get in a dome than fixed lenses.
    I have a Athena 170mm vario dome, made especially for zoom lenses and it worked well with the Tokina 12-24 mm.

    Chris

  5. Hey Chris,

     

    Yeah sorry, I just noticed that I had not mentionned the lens. The use would be with the Tokina 10-17 that I use actually too but with a big 180 dome.

     

    I wanted to try the minidome as I rarely use another linear WA lens. I found the CFWA abilities of the minidome interesting. Also, considering the weight, it would definately be nice to carry only the minidome on vacations. :-)

     

    Steve

AOI

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.