Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Canon 5d MKII or Canon 6D for best low light performance

Started by 00wabbit ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Canon 5d MKII or Canon 6D for best low light performance

5 posts
  1. Looking to upgrade from my 60d.

     

    I do not use the 60d underwater because at the time I didn't want to invest in a housing for a camera I knew I was going to replace.

     

    My next camera will go underwater. My dive sites are typically darker waters like the great lakes, St. Lawrence River, etc. I have some lights but I mostly like large wide angle shipwreck photos where strobes don't really help.

     

    I also use the camera on land. My main reason for upgrading is poor low light performance. I could pick up a used 5dII and used housing at a good price. My other option is the Canon 6d. I really like the wifi features and connecting to the iphone to shoot and offload photos. This will be a good feature as well.

     

    Anyway, of the 6d and 5dII which has the best low light performance? Or is the difference negligible?

     

    Some other things to note:

    I don't need the multiple focus points on the 5dIII

    I would like a weather sealed body, but it's not necessary. I can't tell if the 6d is sealed, but I think it isn't.

    I already own some L lenses and will stay with canon.

  2. Hi partner,

    Snapsort would say the 6D wins the low light performance contest. I think that the 6D would also surprise most people and win the auto focus speed contest especially in low light.. It's lighter too by quite a bit.

     

    snapsort comparison

     

    From a control standpoint everything you can do on the 5D MKII you can do with the 6D with some judicious use of the reprogrammable controls.

     

    Good luck on your decision,

    Steve

  3. Looking to upgrade from my 60d.

     

    ...

     

    Some other things to note:

    I don't need the multiple focus points on the 5dIII

    I would like a weather sealed body, but it's not necessary. I can't tell if the 6d is sealed, but I think it isn't.

    I already own some L lenses and will stay with canon.

     

    Well, if I ignore some of your criteria, I'd suggest you look at the Sony A7S. It's probably the best low-light camera in the market today.

     

    Regards

    Peter

  4. Thanks, but I have a lens and strobe investment in Canon. I am happy with them and will stick with them for now.

     

    My underwater camera at the moment is the sony rx100.

  5. The 6D easily outperforms the 5D2 in most everything you need as a camera. The difference in noise is more pronounced in the higher ISO from 3200 onwards. We are talking about a stop difference from 3200-25600.

Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.