Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Backscatter Flip 3.1 filters questions

Started by A.Y. ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Backscatter Flip 3.1 filters questions

6 posts
  1. I received Flip 3.1 filters and noticed the one marked SHALLOW and the one marked DIVE are pretty much identical unlike the Yellow and Orange filters shown on Backscatter website. The one marked DEEP is indeed noticeably darker and redder than the other two.

     

    My questions to the Flip 3.1 owners are:

    1. Are your SHALLOW and DIVE filters more like Backscatter product images and videos shown here (very different) or more like mine (practically identical)?

    2. Does your Flip 3.1 filter frame fit the GoPro 3+ or GoPro 4 Standard Housing better than mine?

     

    I just want to make sure the SHALLOW or the DIVE filter I received are not mislabeled.

     

    http://alyudesign.com/images/misc/flip31.jpg

    Edited by A.Y.
  2. Typically just use the deep and dive filter will be enough.

     

    3+ and 4 housing are the same. They give u an adapter that allows u to the `dive housing` ala the hero 3 housing thats rated to 60m

  3. My questions to the Flip 3.1 owners are:

    1. Are your SHALLOW and DIVE filters more like Backscatter product images and videos shown here (very different) or more like mine (practically identical)?

    2. Does your Flip 3.1 filter frame fit the GoPro 3+ or GoPro 4 Standard Housing better than mine?

     

    I just want to make sure the SHALLOW or the DIVE filter I received are not mislabeled.

     

    AY,

     

    My SHALLOW and DIVE filters look very much the same in color as well. And my frame has a gap too. I didn't want to wrench it down too much to close the gap when putting it on, I just made sure it was secure enough to not budge. Hope this helps!

    Edited by sealifeinspiration
  4. Have you used the filter system yet? I've read mixed reviews and am unsure which one to buy? Your feedback would be appreciated.

  5. Thanks for the replies!

    gopro3+-filter.jpg

    So far I've only used the Flip 3.1 DIVE filter under about 12 meters or 40 feet of water. I'd say the results were pretty good. In the majority of the clips the highlight and shadow areas turned out pretty neutral which made color adjustments easy. Getting rid of the air bubbles on the filters is quick and simple. Going deeper than 15m or 50ft, just switch to the DEEP filter. However, I don't like these plastic filters that get scratched up easily.

    I'd used Polar Pro Red Filter before and found it too strong for 12m or 40 ft depth, resulting in a lot of red in the shadow areas, which required using an advanced NLE like Final Cut Pro X to fully correct the problem. Rated 4-24m or 15-80ft, I'm sure the Polar Pro Red filter performs well in deeper water.

    Overall, the Flip 3.1 filter system is much easier to use than the clip-on type and produces pretty decent results, IMO.

    The UW red filters I have:
    Ikelite, Equinox, and Flip 3.1 DIVE filters deliver good results under around 12m or 40 ft of water.
    Polar Pro Red filter has slightly deeper red and more magenta so it's good for deeper and slightly greener water.
    Flip 3.1 DEEP filter has even deeper red, but not as much magenta, comparing to the Polar Pro Red filter.

    Edited by A.Y.
  6. http://youtu.be/bq5mFUX5wBE

     

    This short Hero 3+ Black video was mostly shot with a Flip 3.1 Dive filter under around 12m or 40 ft of water. Simple grading was applied, using Final Cut Pro X. Shutter sound from my NEX-5R can be heard in one of the clips.

    Click here to see the 60p version as YouTube doesn't support fast frame rates yet.

Nauticam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.