Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Breaking my head over: EM-5, E-PL7 or RX100ii !!!

Started by LesleyP ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Breaking my head over: EM-5, E-PL7 or RX100ii !!!

4 posts
  1. Hey guys, really need some help here. Am looking into entering UW photography and want to make sure considering the investment that I buy the right gear to last for a while. Have found 3 systems that with casing and strobe all end up around $2300 (and I started with a $800 budget, sigh...)

     

    - Sony RX100ii with RecSea housing

    - Olympus EM-5 with Olympus housing (currently in promotion at BlueWater)

    - Olympus E-PL7 with Olympus housing

     

    Sony is more compact, which is not a big factor for me as they are all quite portable. But it also seems to have the most versatile lens with a 28-100mm range (35mm equivalent) at F1.7, quite impressive. (is also better for photo than the RX100III which I don't consider for that reason)

     

    Olympus E-PL7 has the advantage of larger M4/3 sensor and swappable lenses but kit lens doesn't seem as good with 28-84mm and f3.5-5.6

     

    Olympus EM-5 is more advanced than the E-PL7 while lacking some of the more recent features such as newer processor, kit lens is also the same as E-PL7

     

    What do you guys think, what would be the best pick? Thanks for all your advice!

  2. If I was you....

     

    Go with an older camera (even say a EPL5) - BUT spend the money on a Alu housing and ports system (like for example Nauticam) - at least when you come to upgrade your camera, the ports, lenses and accessories will transfer over at no cost.

     

    I had a EPL3 in a Olympus housing, and by the time I got the zen ports, I should of got the nauticam stuff in the first place and it would of grown with me. Instead I had to flog everything and start again

  3. I looked into the nauticam housings for e-pl5, but fear that will completely blow my budget... :-/ I also don't think I will be swapping too many lenses as I would aim to have one setup which is as versatile as possible, without having to judge before each dive which setup would be most suitable. Would this mean that I would be better of with something like the RX100ii? Alternatively, I could consider waiting until there are housings for the LX100 (wrong part of the forum I know :) ), but not sure how much better that one is going to be for stills.

    Edited by LesleyP
  4.  

    If I was you....

     

    Go with an older camera

     

    I agree 100% in your case. You seem to be interested in UW photography long-term, so look at what you would be spending over the next 10 or 20 years. The "ínitial expense" of lenses and ports might seem like a lot, but the lens and port you buy today will work with the camera you buy in 10 years.

     

    There is no one camera does it all" underwater. So you might be looking at a compact, but then you'll be buying wetmate lenses for wide and macro; and they might not work with your next compact camera. Going with an interchangeable lens camera will mean you can use your stuff in the future.

     

    Getting an older camera will be fine for a beginner / intermediate. You are going to do a lot of diving before you are a better photographer than the equipment you have. Buying an older camera / housing will leave you more for the lens & port, and lighting.

     

    Where in the world are you ? Is there an UW photo club nearby? If there is, you can find lots of used gear and advice.

Turtle

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.