Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

LocLine / Flex-arms on NA-EM1 or similar

Started by OrangeFrog ·

  • 11Posts
  • 11Replies

Read-only discussion

LocLine / Flex-arms on NA-EM1 or similar

11 posts
  1. Hi all,

     

    So, I do have a NA-EM1 housing and two strobes, currently working with ball arms and clamps. But for flexibility & weight reasons, like to move this to a flex-arm / LocLine setup.

    I used these Locline arms in a previous setup, but using a non-Nauticam tray.

     

    The locline arms have t-plate adapters and I have two "Nauticam T-Plate Mounts" for the handles.

    However, with this setup, it means that I have to remove the handle-brackets. And this means (removing those brackets) that the handles are actually a bit flimsy. I'm worried that it will actually bend or snap off the handles.

     

    Any people out there, that are using locline arms on their nauticam easy tray handles, and your experience?

    Did you, and how, manage to keep the handle brackets. (which create a sturdy connection between the handles and the housing)

     

    I can only think of various other options -

    -another more stable tray, possible starting the locline from the base of the tray,

    -move back to my ball arm setup, and see if I can find an adapter that has a ball on one side and the other side fits the locline

    -get one of the aluminium carry handles/bars that go from one side of the camera to the other side. (I think deep proof has them)

     

    Have looked around in the other posts, but can't find anything else on this subject..

     

    Cheers,

    Y.

     

  2. There are two ways of doing this. We mounted the lox-line base adapter from L&M on the top of the handle. Then you simply use the spring loaded arms with your strobes on them for quick disconnect, reconnect. Alternatively (and more cheaply) you can just screw a locline base to the top of the handle and go from there.

    Bill

  3. Hi Bill, thanks for the info.

    That with a set of those small plates that go inside the top of the handle and allow the handle brackets should work.. Will give it a try. Just need to get those small plates. Thanks!

     

    Cheers,

    Yuri

     

     

    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  4. I would suggest looking around for a non-diving related source for the loc line as it is much more expensive to buy loc line from places like L&M, ikelite ect. than it is to buy it from a plumbing distributor... just keep in mind that diving retailers refer to loc line based on its outside diameter (OD) but plumbing refers to the inside diameter (ID). Here in Canada buying loc line from "ehpope.com" saves me well over 60% over ordering from a dive related source. They have bulk loc line as well as flat mounts, adapters, elbows... basically everything you need for a loc line setup. I would buy two end cap with the hole in it and bolt/screw that strait to the nauticam aluminum post top/bracket.

  5. What I do for my video lights is bolt a flat mount with a 3/4" nib to attach loc line to onto the ladder frame of my stand ULCS arms. This allows for complete freedom in adjusting the strobes but also allows for independent adjustability of the video light that you don't get with a triple ball clamp setup. I don't like using 4 ball mounts to have independent arms for video lights and strobes as it clutters the top of the housing.

     

    I will try to post a picture later. It works very well.

  6. You can get the small plates from Reef Photo for sure and probably from L&M but finding stuff on their site is terribly painful. We get our locline from either McMaster Carr or from Modular Hose.

     

    Bill

  7. Hi All, thanks for the tips!

    Been diving over the past days, Dive conditions in Perth are fantastic at the moment, hence a delayed reply.

     

    Already have the locking Arms, from previous setup, but yes, we did directly order from the U.S., as here locally in Perth - Australia it's very expensive. Even with shipping costs it's cheaper to buy from states.

     

    Just ordered the plates and will try the end-caps first, if that works might invest in two quick release adapters.

     

    Will post picture of the final setup :-)

     

    Cheers,

    Yuri

  8. Nauticam now have a version of the handle plates which is compatible with the T-plate mount.

  9. I don't want to hijack this thread but does anyone know if a plate or system is made for the Ultralite trays tp install the LocLines on?

     

    Thanks, ML

  10. No, the brackets have been redesigned to enable you to use T-plates on the handle tops, and keep the brackets.

Turtle

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.