I have Nauticam gears and know they are of high quality aluminum and firm fit. At less than half the cost, how do the plastic XIT 404 gears stack up - particularly with long term use? Do they have a solid fit mount? Long term tooth wear issues? Any experience will be appreciated. Thanks!
Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic
XIT 404 Gears - how is the long term quality vs Nauticam gears?
Started by megtooth ·
- 7Posts
- 7Replies
Read-only discussion
XIT 404 Gears - how is the long term quality vs Nauticam gears?
-
-
Hey!
I don't have Nauticam or XIT gears - but Subal, which are also plastic.
I've used them for years without the least problem and certainly no wear. I don't know what materials are used in the Nauticam housing to mesh with the gears but would be really surprised if they would cause problematic wear on plastic gears.
But no doubt there is lots of experience of Nauticam gears and others can comment.
-
I have used plastic gears and zoom rings on a couple different kits, all with Aquatica housings. On a couple occasions, I've had them slip to the point that I could not make an adjustment on the dive. The ring would become cocked on the lens and not align properly with the operating gear. Probably from turning the gear too hard into it's stop.
I solved the problem by installing small SS set screws at three points, 120 degrees apart, on the ring. Once I snugged them up against the lens, problem solved. Just be careful not to tighten them too much to damage the lens barrel. I found that the O-rings on the inside of the zoom rings don't do a good enough job holding the ring in place.
-
I have XIT for Nauticam.
They are lasting quite well, however one of the gears was sent with what seems to be the wrong pitch gears - it still works but it is not smooth at all. Also It does not work with the 7D series as it hits the camera near the flash.
In conclusion - gear for 100mmL seems good so far, and the extendability is great. Gear for 100mm has been a waste of money.
You're in the US so will be easy to return. Might as well give it a try! -
Good information as I have a 7D!!! I use the Tokina 10-17 but just got a deal on the Canon 8-15. I think I'll stick with the Nauticam zoom gear as I do a good bit of CFWA!!! Thanks To all!!!
-
I use xit404 manual focus gears for my 60 and 100mm macro lenses. I have been using them for nearly 2 years without any problems.
-
OK, glad you have had a positive experience. I think I'll contact the XIT 404 folks and see if their zoom ring will fit my setup (7D and 8-15). If so - for $85, I will probably give them a try. Thanks!